***Edmonton Oilers vs. LA Kings GDT 12/30/23 >>7:00pm<< on BSW

all I know is, I am NEVER doing the goalie taunt chant ever again!! (Ok, maybe if we have like a 10 goal lead I'll do it). I knew it was a mistake when I was chanting "Skinnnerrrr, Skinnnnerr...." with only a 2 goal lead.

As a pleb watching on TV, I also felt it was too early when I heard it :D

Just wait until the crowd starts the “JONATHAN! JONATHAN!” chant January 20th🙃

For a team with so many players to love, this Kings team does not feel cohesive or have a clear identity. Dubois’ play looks alienated from everyone else, and frankly so does Fiala’s - who is fast becoming my least favorite player. Even Kempe feels a bit more muted/disconnected. Something feels off.
The team's identity is defense. Their defense has been elite this season. I think people forgot that because they were scoring at will for the first month. The Kings allow 2.33 Goals per game. #2 is Winnipeg at 2.49. The Kings are the top PK in the league at 86.5% #2 is Dallas at 85.8. Kings are #2 in Shots Allowed 26.7. Carolina is #1 25.8

I'd say that's a pretty strong identity and an identity that will allow them to make a deep Cup run if their high skill players can generate enough goals. That's exactly what Fiala and Kempe have been doing all season. Dubois' playing style is quite a bit different from the rest of the high skill forwards by design, I believe. Blake acquired Dubois because he's a mix of big, physical and fast when in attack mode. At his best he plays the game like a quick strike, counter-attack, goal scorer. He's a complementary player not meant to carry a team but to be the final piece. I happen to agree with Todd, he's getting close.

Winnipeg is rejoicing, however some here believe he will step up in the playoffs. He rises to the occasion when he plays quality teams like the Oilers.
People talk about PLD as though he has a long history of playoff success where he’s taken his teams deep and won a Conn Smythe. In reality, he had a few good games in the bubble and that’s what his reputation is built off of. When people see he’s not a dominant player in the playoffs either, the next stage of grief will set in.

People talk about PLD as though he has a long history of playoff success where he’s taken his teams deep and won a Conn Smythe. In reality, he had a few good games in the bubble and that’s what his reputation is built off of. When people see he’s not a dominant player in the playoffs either, the next stage of grief will set in.

This.

Just wait until the crowd starts the “JONATHAN! JONATHAN!” chant January 20th🙃

Like this?

images.jpeg

Dubois currently has the 46th highest cap hit in the NHL. There aren't 46 "dominant" players in the entire league. There's maybe 5. Dubois salary is right in line with players who produce goals on his level. He's a 25 year old 25-30 goal scoring forward. Here are his comps.

Ryan Johansen 8 years 64M
Robert Thomas 8 years 65M
Joshua Norris 8 years 63.6M
Nick Suzuki 8 years 63M
Anthony Cirelli 8 years 50M
Dylan Cozens 7 years 49.7M

Ideally the hope is he produces at the same level as Roope Hintz 8 years 67M & Sebastian Aho 5 years 42.3

It's almost as if some folks didn't learn their lesson after stating their opinion as fact that Byfield will never be as good as Stutzle...

Dubois currently has the 46th highest cap hit in the NHL. There aren't 46 "dominant" players in the entire league. There's maybe 5. Dubois salary is right in line with players who produce goals on his level. He's a 25 year old 25-30 goal scoring forward. Here are his comps.

Nick Suzuki 8 years 63M

Ideally the hope is he produces at the same level as Roope Hintz 8 years 67M & Sebastian Aho 5 years 42.3

It's almost as if some folks didn't learn their lesson after stating their opinion as fact that Byfield will never be as good as Stutzle...
Well I was never one of those Byfield critics. In fact I defended him because he was showing a lot of good signs. He’s also younger and not with a history of being a head case. And I never suggested PLD would be dominant, only that there are some who are acting like his bubble performance is some sort of a guarantee that he’s a big game player. As for him being a 25-30 goal scorer, he’s not that this year, so one out of 8 years down the drain. Yeah, let’s HOPE he’ll actually be visible for the majority of his contract.

Nick Suzuki 8 years 63M

It's almost as if some folks didn't learn their lesson after stating their opinion as fact that Byfield will never be as good as
Can't worry about Dubois as the contract is set for a long time. If he happens to produce like you mentioned, it would be a huge bonus.

Nick Suzuki 8 years 63M

The problem with PLD and support is all of the arguments for his play are on paper and in the past. I'd like to see him do something on the ice in the present. Salary wise we all know what he makes compared to players with double his production/alleged skill, on this team alone. Visually he seems... not comfortable right now. It may in fact take him some time, just like Byfield. Though they are obviously different cases.

Great observation duh!,, What’s your point

Duh? What is wrong with you? Comprehend much?

My comment was a reasonable response to the post I quoted. The Oilers were awful earlier in the year after McJesus got injured. They were loosing games 8-1, 6-1, 4-1, 3-0. That was my point. The post I quoted claimed the oilers would still score / win no matter who was out.

For a team with so many players to love, this Kings team does not feel cohesive or have a clear identity. Something feels off.
——-> As I feared, this post aged well. As of now, the only clear identity is a bad team that, as bad teams do, will find any and every possible way to lose.

Back
Top Bottom