Fire coach!

Sometimes Blake gives out contracts like it's Monopoly money.
Is it me over reacting? or is just the cost of doing business?

Doughty - 11 million x8 (Nowhere near enough offense to justify it)
Iafallo - 4 million x4 (43 pts. is career high)
Cal - 5 million 3x (dumpster fire)
Dubois - 8.5 x8 (63 pts. is career high + nmc)
Provorov - 2 million x2 (I get it he had to to move Cal)
Moore - 4.2 x5 (we all like Trevor but, 4.2?)
Fiala - 7.85 x8 (85 pts. is career high + nmc)

We're in cap hell for how long now? Plus all the roster players, prospects and picks he's 'managed.'

Is it me?

It's not you - this has always been one of Blake's weaknesses. I'd even add the $7m 2 year extension for Kopitar to this list (while a player like Kane is signed for $2.75m). Not saying Kopi should have signed at Kane money, but $7m seems high.

It's not you - this has always been one of Blake's weaknesses. I'd even add the $7m 2 year extension for Kopitar to this list (while a player like Kane is signed for $2.75m). Not saying Kopi should have signed at Kane money, but $7m seems high.
Had discussion w coworker on exactly this. Was not happy w the 7mil/yr, but hard to argue given his points production. But it may fall off cliff after this yr.

As for Kane $, agreed, maybe 5 m/yr. Then blake would have a little more room to work with.

Sometimes Blake gives out contracts like it's Monopoly money.
Is it me over reacting? or is just the cost of doing business?

Doughty - 11 million x8 (Nowhere near enough offense to justify it)
Iafallo - 4 million x4 (43 pts. is career high)
Cal - 5 million 3x (dumpster fire)
Dubois - 8.5 x8 (63 pts. is career high + nmc)
Provorov - 2 million x2 (I get it he had to to move Cal)
Moore - 4.2 x5 (we all like Trevor but, 4.2?)
Fiala - 7.85 x8 (85 pts. is career high + nmc)

We're in cap hell for how long now? Plus all the roster players, prospects and picks he's 'managed.'

Is it me?

Leaving Doughty and Kopitar out of the discussion because they are organizational pillars, none of these contracts were/are outrageous. Check out the contract comps on capfriendly and you'll see exactly how Blake and his team came to most of the numbers they did.

Any time a player gives away UFA years his cap hit spikes. You just gotta live with it and fill in as many holes as you can with rookies.

My first thought when I heard the $7 million figure was disbelief. That is a $2 million per year overpayment for a guy who will be 37 & 38 during those 2 years. Instead of a hometown discount to help the team improve, we see one last shot at big money before the whole family heads back to Slovenia. It’s disappointing.

WOW, this team is bad. Not that losing to Colorado, who is a legit team.
But losing to a team like Buffalo who lost the night before in Anaheim.
Changes need to be made.

I agree with this.... but also this...

^Although DD's comments were about being selfish relative to an individual players stats... not necessary ego related crap that doesn't show up on a players statistics...

When I heard DD's comments, while I think some hard love is something we need the shelfish comments did have me stractching my head.

I'd be very curious to hear from you all if you think it's accurate, and if so, who are the worst offenders and why?
Drew said “too many guys” so the way I interpreted it is that many players have gotten away from the buy-in to the system over this stretch. I don’t even think it’s purely selfish per se but lots of players trying to take over and dial up the offense at the expense of the Kings’ defensive system. The amount of turnovers that have lead directly to goals is mind boggling.

Drew and Kopi know the best way to weather a slump is to stick to the game plan and odds will eventually go back your way again. It’s why Blake emphasized they need to win through defense and also why Drew backed up the coaches.

Last night the team was clearly sticking to their 1-3-1 at least to start and it was vividly obvious. Gonna be some rust - that was an elite team and Kings have been so sloppy it wasn’t a good early eye test. But theory goes play like you did when you were winning and let it take care of itself.

Only fault there is that teams really nail the Kings on the dump in and forecheck, so it could be that this system really has reached its expiration point. Which means you’ve got coaching and veteran leadership who are divided from much of the room who is trying to adjust and get wins differently but don’t have backing or direction. It is, in a word, a mess.

That Islander game seems so long ago.
I would love to know what happened immediately before, during, or immediately after that Islander game that completely changed the season. The team has never looked the same since. Sadly, we will probably never hear the truth about this collapse. Just hope Rob is ready to be a seller at the deadline.

Leaving Doughty and Kopitar out of the discussion because they are organizational pillars, none of these contracts were/are outrageous. Check out the contract comps on capfriendly and you'll see exactly how Blake and his team came to most of the numbers they did.

Any time a player gives away UFA years his cap hit spikes. You just gotta live with it and fill in as many holes as you can with rookies.
woah woah slow down with your facts and reason ... haha

I would love to know what happened immediately before, during, or immediately after that Islander game that completely changed the season. The team has never looked the same since. Sadly, we will probably never hear the truth about this collapse. Just hope Rob is ready to be a seller at the deadline.

It was immediately post Gavrikov injury during the game, like the next shift, like they were riding high and saw him go down and get hurt and just buckled emotionally.. IDK.

Last night the team was clearly sticking to their 1-3-1 at least to start and it was vividly obvious. Gonna be some rust - that was an elite team and Kings have been so sloppy it wasn’t a good early eye test. But theory goes play like you did when you were winning and let it take care of itself.

Only fault there is that teams really nail the Kings on the dump in and forecheck, so it could be that this system really has reached its expiration point. Which means you’ve got coaching and veteran leadership who are divided from much of the room who is trying to adjust and get wins differently but don’t have backing or direction. It is, in a word, a mess.
Correct. Kings were actually playing a very competitive 1st period until Talbot let in that softy. Then he misplays the puck shot behind his net and it handcuffs Doughty who was not expecting him to touch it and leads to a turnover and a goal. 3rd goal was a shot going wide to the left of the net if Talbot doesn’t touch it. I mean there was just no reason for it. Even if he does stop that shot with his blocker it’s going to create a fat rebound in the slot at the feet of an Avs forward. 2.5 of those goals are directly his fault.

I can’t hang the entire loss on Talbot but he was abysmal. He completely undermined the team’s effort to play a structured defensive game last night. So how can anyone say the system isn’t working or the team doesn’t care when one player puts you behind the 8 ball? Makes no sense.

Anderson contract is excellent… as is Gavrikov’s contract. Moore’s contract is looking like a steal as is Kempe’s contract. Fiala and PLD contracts will have to be assessed further down the line, but both look as though they are overpayments right now.

I hated Doughty’s contract from day 1. I think that was Blake’s most egregious error. The Kopitar extension looks pretty bad too.

Anderson contract is excellent… as is Gavrikov’s contract. Moore’s contract is looking like a steal as is Kempe’s contract. Fiala and PLD contracts will have to be assessed further down the line, but both look as though they are overpayments right now.

I hated Doughty’s contract from day 1. I think that was Blake’s most egregious error. The Kopitar extension looks pretty bad too.
If Dubois can get back to scoring 25+ goals a game while playing Center his contract is right in line with his peers. It's a bit on the high end but that's the cost of doing business if your goal is to acquire guys in their prime who are signed to contracts where they give up free agency years.

Kevin Fiala is actually on a very fair salary considering his production. Some of his comps (similar age + cap hit within 1M): Alex Debrincat 48GP 42P, Jordan Kyrou 47GP 34P, Filip Forsberg 48GP 50P, Jesper Bratt 46GP 49P, Clayton Keller 47GP 45P, Kyle Connor 30GP 29P. I take Fiala over some of but not all of those guys. He's basically paid exactly where he should be.

We've got to remember it's not 2010 any longer. It's 2024 and the cap is going up so these cap numbers are going up too.

If PLD can start scoring 25+ goals a game, I’m willing to overlook the first half of this season and ready to put Blake in the GM hall of fame.
Dubois' expected goals are right at 14 on the season. Projected over a season that's 25. Give him a healthy Arvidsson from mid Feb. to end the season and 25 is probably right where he ends up.

I'm calling it now PLD is going to get on a heater after the all star break. 🔒

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back