FIRST ROUND: Kings Vs. Oilers

S

SaltyPuck

Lurker
Now that we know who we're playing, I figured a thread dedicated to the series was in order and that I might as well be the one who starts it!

So what do we think boys and girls?

• Will we get Fiala & Gabe back in time?
  • What's the right call: Korpi or Copley?
  • Are there any adaptations to our game that we need to win this series? What might the Oil do adapt to us?
  • Who's going to start the official "dive tally" as the Oil start flopping on the ice for those dangerous PP minutes?
  • Does anyone have any PO traditions to give us some extra juju?

LETS GO KINGS!

I am really hoping that scraggly playoff "beards" have finally become a thing of the past.

Now that we know who we're playing, I figured a thread dedicated to the series was in order and that I might as well be the one who starts it!

So what do we think boys and girls?

• Will we get Fiala & Gabe back in time?
  • What's the right call: Korpi or Copley?
  • Are there any adaptations to our game that we need to win this series? What might the Oil do adapt to us?
  • Who's going to start the official "dive tally" as the Oil start flopping on the ice for those dangerous PP minutes?
  • Does anyone have any PO traditions to give us some extra juju?

LETS GO KINGS!

1) Fiala & Gabe: I damn sure hope so. At the same time, I hope Fiala doesn't just keep destroying his body trying to make it back on time. We got that dude a fewwww more years. He should have sat the entire time til now, and even the playoffs - but what do I know. Gabe on the other hand I think might be ready, though he could benefit from time as well. But playoffs time is where it's at.. so IDK on this one. Thankfully Kings have high salary trainers who do.

2) Copley. All day. Guy came in, saved our season. Played since December with us. Kings play better in front. Korpi seems good, seems cool. People might say he has experience. He has 5 games with a L under his belt. That's.. experience, but I think Copley is 31, might never see the playoffs again, has something to prove - and might just want it a lot more than Korpi. That's just my underdog mentality, and I think he's a better goalie too.

3) Absolute penalty discipline. Some big /clean/ hits to set a tone ala Browny v Sedin 2012. Though we have nobody like Brown.. at least some moderate sized hits and "stick-up-for-yourself-edness-without-drawing-penalties-edness", WHICH I will say the Kings have been doing about the game AFTER that McDavid hit. I wish we had a Greener or Scuderi type player, but we have solid D.. but no big bodies being thrown around. Playoffs revenge AND Mikey injury might fire up the team and make them play bigger than they are. That would be a very good thing.

4) I don't drink but every time McDavid "draws" a penalty by skating fast and falling over near a stick - take a shot every time. Bill Hicks will probably not survive.

5) I'm struggling. I only wear my jersey at games or at home during the playoffs. I've been wearing the same forum blue Quick jersey since 2011. He signed it in 2012 after winning. I think I'll still wear it. Though his names on another playoff team at the moment :D I've still not bought a black and white jersey, because I think they're ugly as **** and I probably never will... hoping when Luc steps down someone else with a damn imagination and love for color steps in.. though I won't lie in saying I wish I got one in 2012, signed, with the cup insignia and all that jazz, but my retro one has kept me good company. But I feel slightly conflicted. My other jersey is a 2007 team signed one - right after that 0-5 Stars comeback, at the meet the players, and a... 2000s crown Ken Belenger. So those aren't real luck charms like my Quicky one. Bahumbug. I'm still a bit torn up on the trade.

6) Byfield needs to step it up real quick or get cycled down to a line not facing 97 real quick. I've been afraid his skating/penalties/giveaways and Durzi for that matter will cost us a game or two in the playoffs.

Playoffs make me weird, shaky, and teary just thinking about it. I'd explode if I were a player I think. Very competitive. Best part of the year. GKG!

I am really hoping that scraggly playoff "beards" have finally become a thing of the past.

Lol. I like tradition, and the early 20 somethings trying to grow beards is part of it :D

Last edited:
Korpisalo did not look good last night. Copley is my man. I hope they don't ride or die with Korpisalo. We need to win this series for Mikey after what McCheapshot did to him.

Have 17 hit 97 square in the numbers into the boards???

Keys are health and discipline. Kings can take this team 5-on-5. We know how Oilers will play given the last two. Methodical, physical, and cheap. They are happy to slow the Kings down and beat them at their own game clogging up the neutral zone and limiting shots. Given McClown’s comments, they relish the opportunity to do so.

I hate the Oilers more than any other team I’ve ever hated. Sharks. Early 2000s Avs and Wings. 2009-12 Canucks. Oilers top them all.

Keys are health and discipline. Kings can take this team 5-on-5. We know how Oilers will play given the last two. Methodical, physical, and cheap. They are happy to slow the Kings down and beat them at their own game clogging up the neutral zone and limiting shots. Given McClown’s comments, they relish the opportunity to do so.

I hate the Oilers more than any other team I’ve ever hated. Sharks. Early 2000s Avs and Wings. 2009-12 Canucks. Oilers top them all.

I do agree.

Does the NHL hopes that McDavid goes deep in the playoffs ? If so were screwed .

I'll start by saying this, Edmonton in a configuration where Skinner plays like he has, is right up there with Boston as anyones top two picks to win a cup. https://www.covers.com/nhl/stanley-cup/odds

McDavid's BS hit aside this team has metrics that say they will be a tough out. The kings are surprisingly by percentage given a bigger chance at the cup than you would think (pre injuries). A lot will come down to players making plays and by that metric without Fiala it's hard to not think Edmonton will be the likely victor.

All that said, watching this team with 6 defensemen (Durzi and Walker as a third pair) leads me to believe they should be able to withstand the attacks enough to use the depth that they should have in the forward spots to press all those minutes that McDavid and Drais aren't on the ice. I'm not sure what I expect other than seeing players that Blake has committed to for future roles finding footing to show they can raise their game in the playoffs. Kempe and Moore are vital cogs who have to have SHIFTS where those contracts were justified. QB, Kaliyev and MacEwan (if he gets ice time) all better prove their big bodies can do something to tilt the ice and make it harder on the edmonton guys. Kupari is my dark horse to have a breakout series, especially if Grundy goes full cannonball mode and frees up space for him to use his body against their depth. All that said, as they say in college football, stars matter. If Kopi, Danault and Drew aren't spearheading the top end, it won't matter who Todd give the net to (its Korpisalo btw).

This is gonna be tough. Hopefully things can come together. Oilers have 11 game win streak going.

Hard to believe nobody noted that we have to overcome the TMac choke factor.

Copley absolutely earned the net for game one. It should be his net to lose. But as a previous poster stated, Todd will give it Korp

This is gonna be tough. Hopefully things can come together. Oilers have 11 game win streak going.

Yes - I'm the nit picker:

It's a 9 game streak, 18 of their last 21.

Since their 4-7 month of February - they've been on fire...

If you think you hate the Oilers now, wait until the first game of the playoffs.

1) Fiala & Gabe: I damn sure hope so. At the same time, I hope Fiala doesn't just keep destroying his body trying to make it back on time. We got that dude a fewwww more years. He should have sat the entire time til now, and even the playoffs - but what do I know. Gabe on the other hand I think might be ready, though he could benefit from time as well. But playoffs time is where it's at.. so IDK on this one. Thankfully Kings have high salary trainers who do.

2) Copley. All day. Guy came in, saved our season. Played since December with us. Kings play better in front. Korpi seems good, seems cool. People might say he has experience. He has 5 games with a L under his belt. That's.. experience, but I think Copley is 31, might never see the playoffs again, has something to prove - and might just want it a lot more than Korpi. That's just my underdog mentality, and I think he's a better goalie too.

3) Absolute penalty discipline. Some big /clean/ hits to set a tone ala Browny v Sedin 2012. Though we have nobody like Brown.. at least some moderate sized hits and "stick-up-for-yourself-edness-without-drawing-penalties-edness", WHICH I will say the Kings have been doing about the game AFTER that McDavid hit. I wish we had a Greener or Scuderi type player, but we have solid D.. but no big bodies being thrown around. Playoffs revenge AND Mikey injury might fire up the team and make them play bigger than they are. That would be a very good thing.

4) I don't drink but every time McDavid "draws" a penalty by skating fast and falling over near a stick - take a shot every time. Bill Hicks will probably not survive.

5) I'm struggling. I only wear my jersey at games or at home during the playoffs. I've been wearing the same forum blue Quick jersey since 2011. He signed it in 2012 after winning. I think I'll still wear it. Though his names on another playoff team at the moment :D I've still not bought a black and white jersey, because I think they're ugly as **** and I probably never will... hoping when Luc steps down someone else with a damn imagination and love for color steps in.. though I won't lie in saying I wish I got one in 2012, signed, with the cup insignia and all that jazz, but my retro one has kept me good company. But I feel slightly conflicted. My other jersey is a 2007 team signed one - right after that 0-5 Stars comeback, at the meet the players, and a... 2000s crown Ken Belenger. So those aren't real luck charms like my Quicky one. Bahumbug. I'm still a bit torn up on the trade.

6) Byfield needs to step it up real quick or get cycled down to a line not facing 97 real quick. I've been afraid his skating/penalties/giveaways and Durzi for that matter will cost us a game or two in the playoffs.

Playoffs make me weird, shaky, and teary just thinking about it. I'd explode if I were a player I think. Very competitive. Best part of the year. GKG!

Lol. I like tradition, and the early 20 somethings trying to grow beards is part of it :D

I'm blushing...haha
I told my wife the schedule and she... knows what's coming.
If I typed a fraction of what I yell, I'da been banned from here a while ago.

And I'm team Copley as well. Dude just wins. And the team responded to him instantly.

Copley should start, although based on results I'm not against a rotation in the playoff too!
This team has to throw the body around and finish checks to even stand a chance against a physical team like the Oilers.

Copley should start, although based on results I'm not against a rotation in the playoff too!
This team has to throw the body around and finish checks to even stand a chance against a physical team like the Oilers.

I honestly would not be against it either. Though I know Korpi will start. Copley should.

I am terrified that coach Todd will once again be out coached.

I am terrified that coach Todd will once again be out coached.

Korpi's numbers in the playoffs have been stellar to this point. Between that and him outperforming Copley during his time with the Kings I think he gets the nod.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back