FIRST ROUND: Kings Vs. Oilers

It's almost interesting to me QB is the most highly debated player at the moment. He looked real bad the last 10 or so games IMO - and I've been a detractor all year. He had a few game skid where he was looking better during the win streak I thought. Playoff experience good, playoff winning better. I definitely concur TMac should STICK to someone else up there, not just line jumble, esp. against a team that has the most dangerous fkin first line in hockey. Not quite time for playoff experience teaching - get people with experience up there. I hope having Doughty back this time around will be huge.

I'd put Gabe on that top line if he's healthy. Just have him dish to Kempe all night long. Grundy on the top line is a good option, too, play JAD on the 4th line and sit QB.

Agree about Edler, too. He's not the fastest, but, dang that dude is always in the right place!!

Gabe on the top line worked well earlier this season. That should definitely be Line 1 if Vilardi is healthy. McLellan’s idea of spreading out the goal-scorers won’t work in the playoffs. As much as I love T.O. playing on Line 2, I would put Fiala back with Danault and Arvy as well.

If I was responsible for putting the lines together, this is what I would go with:
First line Iafallo Kopi Kempe
Second line Moore Danault Arvidsson
Third line Fiala Lizzotte Vilardi
Fourth Line Kaliyev Byfield Grundstrom
that leaves Anderson-Dolan, MacKewen, Kupari, and Lafeierre on the outside looking in
Of course a lot depends on the availability of Fiala and Vilardi

Last edited by a moderator:
If I was responsible for putting the lines together, this is what I would go with:
First line Iafallo Kopi Kempe
Second line Moore Danault Arvidsson
Third line Fiala Lizzotte Vilardi
Fourth Line Kaliyev Byfield Grundstrom
that leaves Anderson-Dolan, MacKewen, Kupari, and Lafeierre on the outside looking in
Of course a lot depends on the availability of Fiala and Vilardi

Yeah, a lot depends. Those lines look real good. I hope they can play. Almost weird to me having a world class dude like Fiala on the "3rd" line, but he makes it his own. Love watching him play.

Dennis Bernstein
@DennisTFP
LAK health update:
1. Vilardi skated before 11am practice - not practicing with main group.
2. Fiala not practicing.
3. Edler full contact jersey.

I am completely baffled as to why TMac didn't at least experiment with someone else on the first line in lieu of QB.

You can cite Kopi + Kempe's numbers all you want but you can just as easily argue he is holding the first line back at the same time.

If TMac is going to stick with QB (and I see absolutely no reason why he would be open to any change unfortunately), he's got to be ready with a VERY SWIFT plan "b".

Iafallo deserves another look on the 1st line IMO. He's earned it big time. Can offer so much more than QB at the moment. Let QB grind it out on a bottom pairing. Unfortunately I don't see Gabe at 100% but he'd be an instant upgrade. Even if he does come back I think he'll be sheltered and used on the PP. Not fit for first line minutes likely, and unfortunately. Even Grundy offers a massive upgrade IMO.

TMac is going to have to throw some sort of curveball at Edmonton. QB is the perfect piece to switch up. You can bet your bottom dollar EDM will have a plan for our first line that will involve taking Kempe out of the game at the expense of a little more freedom for QB.

Are you guys serious? Through out Kopitar's career, the biggest consistent problem has been finding wingers that can play with Kopi. For whatever reason it hasn't been easy. Now go back and see what QB did to that line this season. He won't be the problem if they get eliminated. The kid probably hit a wall toward the end of the season but look at the career best season for Kempe and Kopitar leading point getter season.

Now allow me my concern, the third pairing D. It should not be Edler,Durzi nor Edler-Walker nor Walker-Durzi. It shoud be Spence-Walker(LD) period. During the successful run of March, the best game played by the team was versus Colorado. The 3rd pairing was..... Spence-Walker
Durzi does not move quickly on the left side and it is understandable, Edler is not fast enough. The only combination not tried by TMac was Durzi (RD) with Walker (LD). However, as a D, I love the way Spence plays. Period

Regarding TMac's past, he now has Cup winners on his roster. Whatever choking he has left in his mind and system should not be a problem for winners like Kopitar and Doughty on the ice and Blake on the stands.

Guys, believe on this team. Believe on this version, the system,the players and us as fans!

Dennis Bernstein
@DennisTFP
LAK health update:
1. Vilardi skated before 11am practice - not practicing with main group.
2. Fiala not practicing.
3. Edler full contact jersey.

When are Allison and Deadmarsh going to be back…………

Fiala’s injury is such a mystery..,, he got hurt, came back, went out, came back, now is completely out. If it was something that required surgery I would think they would have already said that. Unless they want to play head games with their opponent. It sure has play head games with me ��

Fiala’s injury is such a mystery..,, he got hurt, came back, went out, came back, now is completely out. If it was something that required surgery I would think they would have already said that. Unless they want to play head games with their opponent. It sure has play head games with me ��

Isn't it his knee still that is causing him to rest? I was really surprised to see him back so soon and you could tell he still had a lot of pain when trying to push off that leg (which greatly impacted him speed and agility). Hopefully the rumors are true and they were just resting him in order to be as healthy as possible going into game 1.

The question on who will start in goal in the playoffs was answered when Korpi played the last two games of the regular season. Copley has done an excellent job but Blake gave up a Num. 1 pick for Korpi and Govri. And he wants to see if Korpi can deliver in the playoffs before he offers him good money on resigning with the Kings.

Any plan where QB goes into this playoff as a Center is flat out idiotic. Not the time to be changing his assignments

Korpi has been the better goalie and the teams responding to him as well as Copley. Todd and Jay know who is going to be in net.

Really hoping we got some healthy bodies back soon

Isn't it his knee still that is causing him to rest? I was really surprised to see him back so soon and you could tell he still had a lot of pain when trying to push off that leg (which greatly impacted him speed and agility). Hopefully the rumors are true and they were just resting him in order to be as healthy as possible going into game 1.

Yea that makes the most sense. When the injury happened I figured he was done and then he came back which told me it was more of a really bad bruise then anything that would require surgery…… then he went out again…….. so IDK

Any plan where QB goes into this playoff as a Center is flat out idiotic. Not the time to be changing his assignments.

Not to mention that line just produced our first 40+ goal scorer in like 30 years. No, we're not mixing that line up.

Only shot the Kings have at winning this series is to A) keep the total score low B) shutdown the Oilers PP C) Korpisalo will have to steal one at least 1 game in Edmonton.

I don't know why anyone thinks Byfield is moving off the 1st line. TMac could've moved him during the regular season, especially during that losing streak. It doesn't make sense to move him now. If we lose a game or 2 & he's not doing well then I can see him moving.

There should be a goalie rotation but I think it should go win & you stay in, lose & you're out. To start game 1, I'd be happy with either one but I'd like to see Copley. Just because I'd like to see him rewarded for what he did this season. He saved our season.

I thought I was too old to still hate players & teams. But F the Oilers & especially F McJesus. And F Oiler fans too. It would be one of the sweetest tasting victories to knock them out in the 1st round. And I hope Mikey gets his revenge & lays a Sedin-like hit on McDouche.

I think we'll beat them. If we get Vilardi & Fiala back, for sure. It'll be a little tougher without them. But not impossible. We have to play physical but disciplined. Limit the penalties, especially in the offensive zone. And watch for them diving. Seriously, they're a great team & if they get past us I could see them winning it all. But they have to get past us, which they won't. Kings in 7.

Go Kings Go!

Did Fiala even travel with the team up to Edmonton? Or are they hoping that he will be ready to go when they come back to LA?

On ESPN.com:

Fiala (lower body) didn't participate at practice Saturday, according to Dennis Bernstein of The Fourth Period.

Vilardi (upper body) is not practicing Saturday, but he did skate before practice, Dennis Bernstein of The Fourth Period reports.

Edler (upper body) wore a normal jersey during Saturday's practice, Dennis Bernstein of The Fourth Period reports.

I don't think Fiala will be available until the second round...just a feeling.

I do feel more confident with Copley in net for the Kings. Not sure why, he just has a calming presence for me. Yes, I know Korpi won his last two games against two juggernauts the Canucks and Ducks.

Late to the discussion, and most has already been said, but stay out of the box. To me that's the single biggest thing the Kings can do to give them a chance. So, i dont expect any sort of message sending because they cannot afford to go a man down. I think this rest definitely benefits the kings, with the obvious need for some guys to rest/heal up. Additionally though, i think the time off can hopefully minimize whatever momentum the oilers had going into the playoffs. If i were them, i would have wanted to start game one yesterday.

Back