Kaliyev

The key to developing a guy like Kaliyev is you need to set him up for success. I mean Q has had a sh*tload of time and been shown tremendous patience to be let loose playing with Kempe and Kopi. Does anyone really think he'd be where he is right now had he spent all his time with Lizotte and Lemieux? The Kings had Q and Kaliyev though and for the sake of the franchise they picked the right guy to play on the first line and invest all that time into. No telling if it wouldn't have been better for Kaliyev to play in the A pounding one timers with Tynan but probably the answer is that it's confusing to a youngster to give em 4th line minutes and PP time.
i agree, but i think the difference is that Q seems to have fully bought in, and he simply has a better skill set for doing the things they asked him to do on the 1st line. You already have a great center and shooter with Kempe. They asked Byfield to keep working on his all around game by getting in first on the puck, battling along the boards, and making that first pass. And, no disrespect to Arthur, but Q's physical abilities give him quite a bit of advantage in all of those areas.

What does AK bring to the Kopitar line when you already have Kempe doing the same thing, but better?

I think what Kaliyev needs, is a rebuilding team that can afford to put him with top players AND have lower expectations while they rebuild. Q brought something to the table being pushed up to that first line. AK is a detriment. He doesn't have the speed to get in first on the puck, which means Kempe has to do that. Which, in turn, takes him out of a shooter role. And while it may be somewhat confusing, i can see the other side of it... If teh Kings say, "play 4th line, work on those aspects of your game, but were also giving you pp time so you can do what you do best." That does make sense to me.

I like the kid, he just needs
i agree, but i think the difference is that Q seems to have fully bought in, and he simply has a better skill set for doing the things they asked him to do on the 1st line. You already have a great center and shooter with Kempe. They asked Byfield to keep working on his all around game by getting in first on the puck, battling along the boards, and making that first pass. And, no disrespect to Arthur, but Q's physical abilities give him quite a bit of advantage in all of those areas.

What does AK bring to the Kopitar line when you already have Kempe doing the same thing, but better?

I think what Kaliyev needs, is a rebuilding team that can afford to put him with top players AND have lower expectations while they rebuild. Q brought something to the table being pushed up to that first line. AK is a detriment. He doesn't have the speed to get in first on the puck, which means Kempe has to do that. Which, in turn, takes him out of a shooter role. And while it may be somewhat confusing, i can see the other side of it... If teh Kings say, "play 4th line, work on those aspects of your game, but were also giving you pp time so you can do what you do best." That does make sense to me.
Good call. Kid needs to work on his overall game he's one-dimensional and hurts the team. Work out the Kinks in Ontario or get a fresh start on another team pretty simple, otherwise hello KHL

The key to developing a guy like Kaliyev is you need to set him up for success. I mean Q has had a sh*tload of time and been shown tremendous patience to be let loose playing with Kempe and Kopi. Does anyone really think he'd be where he is right now had he spent all his time with Lizotte and Lemieux? The Kings had Q and Kaliyev though and for the sake of the franchise they picked the right guy to play on the first line and invest all that time into. No telling if it wouldn't have been better for Kaliyev to play in the A pounding one timers with Tynan but probably the answer is that it's confusing to a youngster to give em 4th line minutes and PP time.
I can't argue with anything you said there, I just think his development hasn't been the best the last 3 years and although he's responsible for not exactly being defensively aware I do think the organization has some blame for his lack of progress too.

Did I just read this correctly, people are comparing AK to BRETT HULL?
Comparing Kaliyev to Brett Hull is like comparing a new Yugo to a new Chevy Camaro. Hulls biggest issue was he was overweight, and after getting traded , he focused on working out and eating better. That’s not Arvy’s problem.

He has had opportunities to play with the top lines, but didn’t want to do what’s required to play top 6 minutes defensively, or to do the work in the corners. Byfield was, and success followed.

There was a reason he lasted until the 2nd round, and it is now evident that whatever they’re telling him isn’t getting through into his thick grape, or IMHO, he isn’t capable of playing that way.

Did I just read this correctly, people are comparing AK to BRETT HULL?
I did! Maybe I didn't say it the best way but I remember when Hull came into the league he was very much a one dimensional player and although like Johnnysuede71 said he had 57 points in 50 games far surpassing Kaliyev's production I do see the skeleton of Hull in Kaliyev. What I mean is if he ever figured out how to round out his game I do see potential in him and that sadly that won't be on the Kings. His junior numbers are very impressive and his play with Turcotte and Zegras on the Under 18 team at The Worlds showed you a glimpse of what he could become.

Even though I'm a fan I think the step up in goaltenders from juniors to NHL has been hard for him mentally. One play his rookie year stands out to me when he was wide open in the Ovechkin spot in the circle and RIPPED a one timer that Kuemper didn't even move to make a routine save for him. The look on his face was one of "that goes in last year!" I don't think he's ever recovered from being an elite goal scorer in juniors to struggling to top 10 goals.

Last edited:
Kaliyev and Kupari were both nightmares defensively against the Oilers last playoff run. I was vocal about ditching Kupari, and this year he has 1 pt and is -6 in 27 games for WPG. I was more ambivalent on Kaliyev, but suffice it to say he was expected to “take a step” this year and he has, backwards to be even worse. Absolute comedy if anyone thinks he will be worth more at the draft.
Kaliyev has no trade value at all.

Back
Top Bottom