Last Movie Watched

A2VTsyI.png

Just wonderfully well done. It's a musical/fantasy as much as a biopic. Equal parts Tommy/The Wall and...the Buddy Holly story/Bohemian Rhapsody. Eggsy is terrific in being Elton while branding it as his own. Jamie Bell is equally good as Taupin, despite oversimplified writing. And the music, especially the use and arrangement, is really showcased. Feels a little long at times(t.w.s.s) but it's a pretty damned good movie. Cannot wait till the touring version cause this is ready made for theater.

A2VTsyI.png

Just wonderfully well done. It's a musical/fantasy as much as a biopic. Equal parts Tommy/The Wall and...the Buddy Holly story/Bohemian Rhapsody. Eggsy is terrific in being Elton while branding it as his own. Jamie Bell is equally good as Taupin, despite oversimplified writing. And the music, especially the use and arrangement, is really showcased. Feels a little long at times(t.w.s.s) but it's a pretty damned good movie. Cannot wait till the touring version cause this is ready made for theater.

There was something rock opera about it JD, good call but I got more of an “What’s Love Got To Do With It” storytelling vibe. Visually interesting cinematography transitioning into heartfelt scenes from his songs all the while moving the story forward and I too thought how it would translate perfectly to musical theater. Good times.

My friends cried their eyes out at most of the issues in the movie: daddy issues, mommy issues, jerk boyfriend issues, booze, drugs, friendships strained, all of it; at a certain point I didn’t think we were watching the same movie. Lol. So, if you go with sensitive people, you’ve been warned. All I wanted to talk about after was all the fun costumes and how cute the boys were, pfft, jerks ruining it with their feelings. I would see it again but without the… ahem, “extra”.

There was something rock opera about it JD, good call but I got more of an “What’s Love Got To Do With It” storytelling vibe. Visually interesting cinematography transitioning into heartfelt scenes from his songs all the while moving the story forward and I too thought how it would translate perfectly to musical theater. Good times.

My friends cried their eyes out at most of the issues in the movie: daddy issues, mommy issues, jerk boyfriend issues, booze, drugs, friendships strained, all of it; at a certain point I didn’t think we were watching the same movie. Lol. So, if you go with sensitive people, you’ve been warned. All I wanted to talk about after was all the fun costumes and how cute the boys were, pfft, jerks ruining it with their feelings. I would see it again but without the… ahem, “extra”.

I was a little weepy, gotta admit. It is pretty relentless, almost indulgently so, and I couldn't help but feel empathy that such a brilliant talent was so abysmally and profoundly sad.

I was a little weepy, gotta admit. It is pretty relentless, almost indulgently so, and I couldn't help but feel empathy that such a brilliant talent was so abysmally and profoundly sad.

Awe. Yup, superficially a fun time but if you process Elton the person, hard to watch. Things got misty for me when they revealed the genesis of "your song". *Tear*

MV5BMjEzMjcxNjA2Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjAxMDM2NzM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Booksmart

Funny and frenetic. Sort of like After Hours meets Idiotsitter. Built on character, atmosphere and heart, some of my favorite moments are little things or lines that could easily go undetected. Really enjoyed this one.

MV5BMjAwNDgxNTI0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTY4MDI1NzM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Dark Phoenix

I thought this was going to terrible, yet it was far worse than my already low expectations. On the bright side, I was able to get one of the best seats in my favorite theater in the city an hour before an opening weekend showtime with no difficulty whatsoever. At the end of the film, I was sort of offended that Sophie Turner got 5th billing in a film that is all about the character she portrays; but, in retrospect, that might be a good thing.

MV5BMTY0MzUwODc4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjMyMjY0NzM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Rocketman

I agree with what's already been covered here. Imaginative jukebox musical. Yeah, it's begging to be adapted to stage. I felt like the execution could have been a little bit smoother and richer, but mostly that's wanting something that's really good to just be completely perfect.

MV5BMTY2NjExNzItMTQyMi00YzNkLTgzOTQtZWE4N2IwNzhiOGFlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTM5NzYzNTU@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Echo in the Canyon

This is a documentary about the Laurel Canyon music scene of the mid-1960s, particularly about 1964–67. A few critics have lamented the omission of Love and Joni Mitchell. The reason for Joni, it seems, is that she arrived on the scene in '67, but there doesn't seem to be a good reason to exclude Love. The whole thing is hosted by Jakob Dylan and is as much about him re-recording some of the famous songs from that scene as it is about the scene itself. It's forgivable, as the covers are good, but still the best parts of the movie come from interviews with some of the artists themselves: Roger McGuinn, David Crosby, Stephen Stills, and Michelle Phillips. There are also interviews with Ringo Starr, Eric Clapton and Graham Nash, who were among those who would drop in on the scene and who played both influencer and influenced to the artists involved. This was one of two films that I figured wouldn't be in theaters long, so I ended up seeing this before Rocketman, and there turned out be a funny crossover there. So, it's a far from complete look at the era but still worth a watch to anyone interested in artists of this area and that time.

MV5BZWQwOGRmZDEtNjRmNC00ZWY2LTg0MmItZGQ2YjU0MmYyODQzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDY2MjcyOTQ@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

The Tomorrow Man

I expected to like this one a little more, but I found it lacking. Can't even remember it particularly well, except that I thought Blythe Danner and John Lithgow both lived up to expectations for good performance. This was another indie I prioritized because I didn't think it would be in theaters long. Hm, now that I think about it, there is a little something there, but somehow it simply didn't grab me.

MV5BOGFjYWNkMTMtMTg1ZC00Y2I4LTg0ZTYtN2ZlMzI4MGQwNzg4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Godzilla: King of the Monsters

There were a few moments in this I particularly loved, mainly because I love to watch giant monsters fighting each other. I do appreciate some of the affection the filmmakers show to these Toho legends. On the whole, though, I was disappointed. And I am among those who absolutely loved Gareth Edwards' 2014 Godzilla. That movie had a real sense of perspective and a genuine flow (even though, granted, that perspective left us hungry for more giant monsters). This new one is the opposite: tons of big monster effects but lacking a definitive perspective. I'm still going to watch it again, you know, because big things hitting each other.

MV5BMjc0YzM2ZjItNzE3OS00NTRhLTkyNTUtMjY5Y2Y5NTU3OWI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU2NTI4MjE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Brightburn

The Superman story reexamined as a horror story, and I think it fails on both counts. Great premise wasted. By (perhaps unfair) comparison, Super twists the superhero origin tale much more effectively on every level. Disappointed.

MV5BMjQ1MjM0OTE2Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzgwMDY4NzM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

The Biggest Little Farm

There is a cynical part of me that acknowledges that this documentary is about self promotion as much as anything else, but that part of me gets squashed very quickly when watching this footage. It's moving and wonderful. What I didn't realize going in is that the farmers/filmmakers of Apricot Lane Farms (which is in freakin' Moorpark, BTW) have been presenting segments the past couple of years on an Oprah show. Much of the footage from these segments is also used in the feature documentary and can be seen on their Web site, if you're curious. The feature doc endeavors to tell the overall story of how and why they made the farm they have today. The cynic in me did not win in this case. Really love this movie and found myself inspired by it.

MV5BMjQ2ODIyMjY4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzY4ODI2NzM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Aladdin

Doesn't really justify its own existence, although the Speechless(?) song is very good. Aladdin, Jasmine and the Sultan, were really good. The rest of the performances are fine, except that Jafar completely lacks menace. The first person who should have been removed from the set, though, was not Jafar but director Guy Ritchie, who should never be allowed to direct another musical. I probably had to see it, and I probably never need to see it again.

MV5BMDg2YzI0ODctYjliMy00NTU0LTkxODYtYTNkNjQwMzVmOTcxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg2NjQwMDQ@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

John Wick: Chapter 3 — Parabellum

Yasssssss! More of what is to be expected from this franchise and then some more on top of that. I know someone who hated this film because it's just a nonstop barrage of crazy violence and because they found the early fights hard to top. I can see that point of view. Didn't affect my enjoyment of the film, though. Also, Dan Laustsen might be my favorite director of photography of recent note. He was nominated for an Oscar for The Shape of Water, but I thought his work in the same year on John Wick: Chapter 2 was equally good. So is his work in this one. Plus Boban Marjanovic and Mark Dacascos in it? Sold.

P.S. Tobias Harris needs to come after Wick in the next one. For revenge!

rJnqwdu.jpg

First time I saw it was in 70mm at Cinerama Dome. Then digital...third time was at The New Beverly, 35 mm, digital the other day...etc.

Didn't like it at first. Well, I liked half of it. A lot. It's an odd movie. All the Tarantino beats are there. But...it's an odd movie.

Trying to go spoiler free...imagine a whimsical Quentin Tarantino movie.

It took some adjusting to, but...it's a helluva movie.

B.t.w. typical.

PplKqHj.jpg

Meh. Not particularly over the top. It's fairly pedestrian. A few instances that, had the joke gone just a little farther, could have been epic. But it just keeps pulling punches. I don't need children put in lewd or offensive situations but if you are going to make a movie like this...go for it. No more half measures.

FrsoGRP.jpg

This was a surprise. Kinda reminded me of Losers with Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Clearly low budge, and high a/f concept. But performances by surprisingly a-List actors elevate it above the dicier logic hiccups. Just enough surprises in a fairly predictable story win you over by the end. Told Kingsqueen it was a real video store flick. Those kinda flicks that if we played them in store people would want to rent them.

3eYq37J.jpg

Hurm.

Ok, look, I make no apologies. I thought the original miniseries was better. After seeing part 2, I realize just how streamlined that adaptation was. The current 2 part version is certainly a LOT more faithful to the structure of the book. Especially this part 2. That being said, a decision they made in part one, as far as what NOT to include handicapped them in relation to the resolution. And, for me, the changes did not enhance the story. I will save spoilers for a little later, if we are still talking once folks get a chance to see. But 2 particular events, while difficult to present in a coherent way, were removed. And the story substitutions presented...worked even less well. As far as judging this, there were a lot of things to like. Bill Hader and James Ransome were very very good. The other characters did not fare as well. Whether poorly cast(Ben Hanscomb) or just thinly designed(Bill & Beverly) were particularly lacking. Pennywise, while formidable, in his original form was a little one note. Where the real nightmares came through was in the work with his alternate personas. Some extremely effective frights to be had here. But, the movie is needlessly cruel. Unpleasant is not a replacement for scary. The second half feels terribly overlong, and the infamous ending of King's story, long lamented, is at first ridiculed openly in an almost Deadpool like way, including a cameo that seems a little too on the nose. But then, it is given a BIGGER, LOUDER, LONGER treatment which, while impressive, was just as problematic. The fourth wall wink-wink approach, and a subtle-as-a-hammer Thing reference, are very distracting. Taking you out of the movie instead of enhancing. I get it. It is a repackaging for a newer, younger audience. And I would suppose that it works in that regard. But for me...I'll stick with the original.

Last edited:
We saw this last night

0.jpg

We liked it very much but didn't love it. I am not sure it is one of those movies anyone "loves." To start sci-fi enthusiasts will like it. It starts with a Blade Runner feel but quickly moves to an Innerstellar feel. Brad Pitt is terrific in it and others are good as well. One of the detractions by reviewers is it is slow at times but I didn't find that at all - those moments seemed perfect for the characters at that particular time. Lots of action and an interesting contemplative story. Overall very much worth a watch and it will get Oscar consideration especially for Pitt so it is worth a watch.

4Yuak2N.jpg

Saw this at Beyondfest last night.

Lovecraft is so terribly hard to get right. Always felt his writing was dry and the horror abstract and faceless. Not easy to translate into actual scares. This movie, through astounding use of light and sound, when the sh_t goes down, you are so wound up with dread that it almost seems a relief to actually see some truly horrifying creature design. At least that's a physical thing that you can comprehend. Solid acting...except from Cage, which was a disappointment. He starts as a rational dad, but descends into a master class in Cageisms. Always fun to watch...but this movie really deserved a more nuanced performance. Shame really, but it's still not enough to break the trance this movie puts you in. Too much animal violence for my liking...so be warned.
Oh...Tommy Chong has a small part, and as much as I love him, it was a distraction. Kingsqueen thought it should have a major release. But I disagreed. Too strange and bleak despite the fact that Cage and Joely Richardson and there does seem to be a decent budget on this.
For the potheads...yes yes and yes. This is a 5 outta 5 joints flick. You want clarity or closure, seek it elsewhere. But if you enjoy Lovecraft and/or slow ratcheting dread, it's your kinda groove.

4Yuak2N.jpg

Saw this at Beyondfest last night.

Lovecraft is so terribly hard to get right. Always felt his writing was dry and the horror abstract and faceless. Not easy to translate into actual scares. This movie, through astounding use of light and sound, when the sh_t goes down, you are so wound up with dread that it almost seems a relief to actually see some truly horrifying creature design. At least that's a physical thing that you can comprehend. Solid acting...except from Cage, which was a disappointment. He starts as a rational dad, but descends into a master class in Cageisms. Always fun to watch...but this movie really deserved a more nuanced performance. Shame really, but it's still not enough to break the trance this movie puts you in. Too much animal violence for my liking...so be warned.
Oh...Tommy Chong has a small part, and as much as I love him, it was a distraction. Kingsqueen thought it should have a major release. But I disagreed. Too strange and bleak despite the fact that Cage and Joely Richardson and there does seem to be a decent budget on this.
For the potheads...yes yes and yes. This is a 5 outta 5 joints flick. You want clarity or closure, seek it elsewhere. But if you enjoy Lovecraft and/or slow ratcheting dread, it's your kinda groove.

I am sure I posted an article about this somewhere, but I forgot where, haha. Maybe, the horror thread.

I am curious about this because the director has had his moments and I *love* this particular story. Maybe in my top three Lovecraft short stories for me. :shocked:

Will probably watch it eventually, but many similar issues that you brought up here have been brought up elsewhere and it's a shame, but this stuff is hard to adapt. And as such, sometimes it's best to do your own thing with the material, and that often, also leads to its own issues.

vzxksIR.jpg

I literally had no words after this. Please, see this and see it in Imax. What a beautiful meditation on SPACE but not the one you immediately suspect. I will wax on this further, since, for me, this is a life altering movie because it cuts very close to issues I have been working on in my life.
Got a movie I am dying to see, up at Beyondfest...and I saw 2 there last night that I have many thoughts about. So, more to come...but please, I beg you. See this in Imax. I009p

Last edited:
Saw this last night and absolutely loved it. Lots to think about, lots to discuss, etc. No spoilers but a great script and Phoenix is amazing. Oh and one other comment I found the movie to be a great comic book movie for comic book readers.

1200px-Joker_(2019_film)_poster.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw this last night and absolutely loved it. Lots to think about, lots to discuss, etc. No spoilers but a great script and Phoenix is amazing. Oh and one other comment I found the movie to be a great comic book movie for comic book readers.
I'm not a comic book guy, and not a comic book movie guy, but I also loved it. Really, you could watch this without having any idea of who Batman or the Joker are, or that the movie has any relationship to a comic book at all, and it would stand on its own.

I'm not a comic book guy, and not a comic book movie guy, but I also loved it. Really, you could watch this without having any idea of who Batman or the Joker are, or that the movie has any relationship to a comic book at all, and it would stand on its own.

So, I?ll take it a few steps further (as always) if you shot this movie in black and white, cast French actors (subtitled for the States) and changed nothing else it could be called: Mime. Becoming a depiction of a marginalized family struggling with mental illness after their benefits have been discontinued.

[Preface, super sensitive person] It made me uncomfortable the whole time from the first shot to the bitter end*; the working poor, altered states of reality and the decent into madness (as a means of escapism). I was squirming in my seat, not regretting the decision but not singing Sinatra songs on the way home.

*Question: Is this one of those movies where the whole thing was in the main character?s mind in a room alone? Also, without being a jerk, Arthur did not seem um, savvy enough to become his future self in the intelligence department.

So, I’ll take it a few steps further (as always) if you shot this movie in black and white, cast French actors (subtitled for the States) and changed nothing else it could be called: Mime. Becoming a depiction of a marginalized family struggling with mental illness after their benefits have been discontinued.

[Preface, super sensitive person] It made me uncomfortable the whole time from the first shot to the bitter end*; the working poor, altered states of reality and the decent into madness (as a means of escapism). I was squirming in my seat, not regretting the decision but not singing Sinatra songs on the way home.

*Question: Is this one of those movies where the whole thing was in the main character’s mind in a room alone? Also, without being a jerk, Arthur did not seem um, savvy enough to become his future self in the intelligence department.
I think making you squirm was the intended effect. And it COULD be one of those movies where he's in a room alone, but I don't think so. Unreliable narrator yes, but he's not imagining his entire world. Probably.

I think making you squirm was the intended effect. And it COULD be one of those movies where he's in a room alone, but I don't think so. Unreliable narrator yes, but he's not imagining his entire world. Probably.

Fair enough but it just seemed deliberate that one of the first scenes was a flashback to Arthur being previously institutionalized when he was speaking to his caseworker. And, the end scene was a similar looking caseworker, (intentionally?) older-as if time had passed- and he was “back" in the institution “reminiscing” about all the things that had just accomplished as the “Joker”. Meh. Since I have zero comic book depth (origin story) my fresh eyes would assume that as soon as his mother was hospitalized with a serious disorder and being a byproduct of physical abuse, he would have become a ward of the state. Therefore…never left the grounds.

On the plus: Glad everyone liked it.

Fair enough but it just seemed deliberate that one of the first scenes was a flashback to Arthur being previously institutionalized when he was speaking to his caseworker. And, the end scene was a similar looking caseworker, (intentionally?) older-as if time had passed- and he was “back" in the institution “reminiscing” about all the things that had just accomplished as the “Joker”. Meh. Since I have zero comic book depth (origin story) my fresh eyes would assume that as soon as his mother was hospitalized with a serious disorder and being a byproduct of physical abuse, he would have become a ward of the state. Therefore…never left the grounds.

You're not alone...
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Beetz, who portrays a neighbour of Joaquin Phoenix’s Arthur Fleck, told [/FONT]The Hollywood Reporter[FONT=&quot] that almost everything depicted in the movie could simply be a figment of Fleck’s imagination.[/FONT]

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom