Learning to skate

P

Player Misconduct

Lurker
So, one of the things I want to do before I die is play hockey on a regular basis. But, before I do this.... I think learning how to skate, ON ICE!, will be good idea.

So, how does one go about doing this. Do lessons help? Should I just go out there and wing it? What did you do? Should I immediately practice with a stick? How good at skating do you need to be before playing? Where do you learn how to play hockey at a beginner level?

Hopefully, I want to start this week...and if it takes, I want to get a pair of skates of the birthday (April).

Any advice will help.

I would get some skates and go to a few public skates. Then there are some learn to play programs at ice rinks around here. That would benefit you a lot more than just going out and winging it.

Pretty much just go out there and try it. You're gonna fall, you're gonna feel awkward, and your feet and/or back is gonna hurt, but there's no way to start skating and not go through this. Go to a few public sessions to get a feel for it. If you like it and think you can improve, drive down to Hockey Giant (Anaheim) or Hockey Monkey (Santa Ana) and get fitted for skates. Get them baked to help with the break-in time. Having your own skates means not having to rely on crappy rentals with blunt edges.

After that, then you can worry about lessons. I've never taken lessons, but I gurantee you it wouldn't be a bad idea. As for playing hockey, I'd recommend getting in on a pickup game. Even beginner leagues can be pretty competitive. Plus, leagues are for playing, not learning. You learn in practice, not during a real game.

As for what I did? Pretty much what I just said. I went with some friends to a few public sessions and tried to get some feeling for it. Then I just bit the bullet and played when they organized a pickup game. Yeah, I sucked, and still do to a degree, but if the pressure isn't on you to perform, then it makes learning a whole lot easier.

I've been skating for 4 or 5 years now and while I'm not a great skater, I skate well enough to handle myself out on the ice. It's all about practice. Good luck and welcome aboard!

And learn to skate well WITHOUT THE STICK!!! Get your own skates, those rentals are no good.

Get skates around the $150 - $200 range. I say this because you can get a quality skate to learn on but also keep as you progress.

Just like Vishi said, go to public sessions but also stick time and pick up games. The best way to learn is just to get on the ice... experience it yourself, watch the better players, and pick up tips that way. Good luck man!

Thanks for all the advice...i am really looking forward to getting out there.

No, Los Angeles (West side). But I would be willing to meet up, nobody wants to look like an idiot alone!

My brother in law just moved to Minnesota and he wanted to start learning to skate. He bought a pair and was at a free-skate over the weekend. He called me up to ask if he was doing something wrong or had his laces too tight or something because his feet were cramping up and hurting, but I told him that sort of thing is pretty common with new skates and new skaters.

I encourage you all to get out there and try it. Go to free skates for a while. Work on staying on your feet, staying in balance. Work on starts and stops. Think of Olympic speed skaters and how they come out of the blocks with their skates in a V pattern. Push off at amost 90 degree angles and bend your knees. Try to turn and glide backwards before trying to skate backwards. Give yourself time to get the hang of it, then try to find some beginner stick time somewhere... Then look for a beginner league.

Pickwick Ice in Burbank is the closest to my work. The hours are pretty bad, but I can get in there for the last 45 minutes (4:45-5:30) of the day for 3 bucks, rentals are also 3 bucks.

I will try to go three times a week. I will keep y'all informed of how it goes.

Find anything in HB?

I haven't been there in a while, but I think Skate Zone still exists at Edinger and Gothard. It's a small ice surface, but I played there for years. Actually, the Minnesota Wild practiced there before one of our games about 5 years ago. We were all stunned that they'd go to such a small, crappy rink! I think they were playing Anaheim the game after the All-Star or Olympic break or something...

Westminster is better ice and pretty close, too.

I haven't been there in a while, but I think Skate Zone still exists at Edinger and Gothard. It's a small ice surface, but I played there for years. Actually, the Minnesota Wild practiced there before one of our games about 5 years ago. We were all stunned that they'd go to such a small, crappy rink! I think they were playing Anaheim the game after the All-Star or Olympic break or something...

Yea, Westminster Ice is about 5 minutes from my house.

Playa, there is a hockey 101 class @ pickwick near you on Friday's and Monday's.Talk to coach Tian if you are interested in some private lessons. after the 101 class there is a on ice stick handling class then an off ice stick handling class. The classes are at 5 or 5:30

I guess anything I say would just be echoing, to a certain extent. I would emphasize, though, it's probably best not to start playing any real hockey (especially leagues) before learning to skate.

Those that played roller, but not ice, go to some of the stick and puck sessions - there's the time to get a feel for the difference, not just in skating, but in stickhandling as well. The transition is pretty quick, even learning to stop on ice (compared to roller) shoudn't take too long.

And yeah - your feet might hurt a little! I've been playing for almost 15 years, and my feet are like blocks of ice by the time I'm done. And I've got some good calluses going on my inside toes. Some people get them and it's no big deal.

Id go to public sessions ,5-10 times. Try to mimic what you see players doing in terms of leaning through turns with their inside foot leading, crossing over, etc.
do "snow plows" on your inside edges to get used to edge control. try to stay even and not favor one leg more than the other.
Then try to get out to a stick time. Feel solid and somewhat comfortable on your skates before you ever take a swing at a puck.

If any one is in the OC area and wants to hit up a good stick time and get some tips, let me know, I'd be more than willing to help LGKers.

Get a stick and a puck and practice stick handling and shooting on some smooth concrete. Handball/raquetball courts at schools and parks are good for this type of practice. Good luck!

It does but the ice is Terrible :(

Back
Top Bottom