Learning to skate

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the great advice. It really helps motivate me that you are trying to help.

So, the skates felt great (but what do I know about how they are supposed to feel). My heel is locked in and they are snug all the way around. They fit how I think they are supposed to. I got the skates for 80 bucks out the door.

So, I fell today for the first time. Um......ouch. Really ouch. I couldn't curse because all the 5-8 year olds were around. I think I am hesitant to try harder because I don't want to fall. I think getting some pads might help that fear of pain.

I think I am hesitant to try harder because I don't want to fall. I think getting some pads might help that fear of pain.

Yes, get some pads. You will fall and you MUST fall in order to learn how to skate and play Hockey. Expect to fall a lot when you get your pads and be happy about it, and I mean that in a good way, because that means your taking chances and thats the only way to learn this game. Sooner you lose that fear of falling, the sooner you will learn and when you "get it", it'll be one of the best days of your life.
Keep it up Man!!!

I actually have a set routine for skate maintenance. After I skate I'll wipe of the ice with my fingers, towel it dry, and put on my cloth blades covers (outside of the arena). I do the last part outside 'cause sometimes the blade perspires from the temperature difference in and out of the arena. Some might call this obsessive, but hey, skates are essential AND expensive!

I also pull the tongue forward as far as I can, take out the footbed, and run my towel through the inside of the boot. It keeps out the moisture, lets it breath, and keeps it from smelling so bad. :X

Wow, this post is all about the three point sentence theme.

Yes, get some pads. You will fall and you MUST fall in order to learn how to skate and play Hockey. Expect to fall a lot when you get your pads and be happy about it, and I mean that in a good way, because that means your taking chances and thats the only way to learn this game. Sooner you lose that fear of falling, the sooner you will learn and when you "get it", it'll be one of the best days of your life.
Keep it up Man!!!

If you're not willing to buy full hockey gear to wear during public skates (either you don't want to make the $$$ commitment or you don't want to look like a geek to the non-hockey skaters), the next best thing is to buy:

* 2 pairs of volleyball pads: one for your knees and one for your elbows
* 1 pair of (cheap) hockey gloves

The reason for the volleyball pads is obvious. The reason you need the hockey gloves is to keep from hyperextending your fingers & thumbs when you try to break your falls by putting your arm out as you approach the ice (hyperextended digits hurts like a sonofabitch and you may have trouble getting your full range of motion back).

.... I also pull the tongue forward as far as I can, take out the footbed, and run my towel through the inside of the boot. It keeps out the moisture, lets it breath, and keeps it from smelling so bad. :X

Completely agree. Also, by taking the footbed out & drying the innards, you keep the metal fasteners (that attach the blade/blade holder to the boot) from rusting out prematurely.

I saw a guy's skate fail like this in the middle of a pickup game. He had to go borrow a pair of public rental skates. Boy did he look awkward for the rest of the game ..... or maybe it was the groin strain he'd suffered when his skate blade fell off in mid-stride because the rusty fastener snapped :)

Lets say I do get some hockey pads. What would I need? Shin, elbow pads, hockey pants, and gloves (gloves I got taken care of). Is that all?

If you're not willing to buy full hockey gear to wear during public skates (either you don't want to make the $$$ commitment or you don't want to look like a geek to the non-hockey skaters), the next best thing is to buy:

Not too worried about looking like a geek since there is a dude who wears short, SHORT, red shorts while skating. I think all eyes our on him; wary parents.

I want to learn faster, so if that means looking stupid, hell, I am mature enough to handle that. Who is going to laugh at me? All the 8 year old girls learning how to figure skate?

Hey everybody, I've been looking to learn how to skate for sometime as well, but I never learned how to rollerblade/skate. Is it necessary to have that ability or is it advised?

I've been on the ice once in skates at the mall which is 2 min. from my place here in San Diego, and jesus i never felt like more of an idiot, lol. It was more like grab-the-board-and-shuffle than skate, plus it didn't help that my friends were skating around and checking me into the glass. And another thing that drives me crazy is seeing these little kids skate like it's nothing, and here I am...

DON'T BE A BOARD HUGGER. get out and fall. Playa, it was good to see you at the rink last week. didn't get to watch you skate, busy lacing up but hopefully see ya next week. Keep it up bro.

Hey everybody, I've been looking to learn how to skate for sometime as well, but I never learned how to rollerblade/skate. Is it necessary to have that ability or is it advised?

It helps, but not necessary. Actually, it might even hurt to learn and be comfortable with rollerblading first... For example, stopping with rollerblades is a little bit different than stopping on ice (powerslide vs. hockey stop... unless you can hockey stop in blades). So learning to stop on rollerblades usually creates bad habits on ice.

I've been on the ice once in skates at the mall which is 2 min. from my place here in San Diego

UTC? You must be rich. Either that or your parents are!

Anyway, if you're talking about UTC and you rented skates... They're probably the worst rental skates I've ever seen. Rental skates are already bad to begin with and when I saw the rentals at UTC... I was pretty disgusted. Blue plastic (literally) boots, fully rusted blades, and ratchet straps (no laces)

Try and make the drive out to SD Ice in Mira Mesa or Kroc Center off of the 8. Now I'm not saying switching from the worst rental skate to a regular rental skate will change your experience, but it will help a little. Plus, UTC is also known to be pretty crowded with mallrats and children who don't want to shop with mama.

It helps, but not necessary. Actually, it might even hurt to learn and be comfortable with rollerblading first... For example, stopping with rollerblades is a little bit different than stopping on ice (powerslide vs. hockey stop... unless you can hockey stop in blades). So learning to stop on rollerblades usually creates bad habits on ice.

UTC? You must be rich. Either that or your parents are!

Anyway, if you're talking about UTC and you rented skates... They're probably the worst rental skates I've ever seen. Rental skates are already bad to begin with and when I saw the rentals at UTC... I was pretty disgusted. Blue plastic (literally) boots, fully rusted blades, and ratchet straps (no laces)

Try and make the drive out to SD Ice in Mira Mesa or Kroc Center off of the 8. Now I'm not saying switching from the worst rental skate to a regular rental skate will change your experience, but it will help a little. Plus, UTC is also known to be pretty crowded with mallrats and children who don't want to shop with mama.
HAHA, I'm not rich but my parents have enough money to buy a condo down here.

Yeah, the UTC skates seemed uber-ghetto when I wore them, but I was just trying to have fun. It says on the UTC Icetown site that they have free introductory lessons on Saturday mornings. Do you guys have any idea what those are like, or if it would be worth it to go? Just don't wanna waste my time if they usually suck. Thanks for the help, this thread is really awesome.

kinglakerfan,
Just try it out. If it's good you'll be happy, if it stinks maybe you can talk to the teacher and find out where there is a good class. If you really are serious get your own skates. Try Play it Again Sports in PB. You don't need anything fancy or Pro right now, just a pair that feel comfortable. Under $100 should be fine.

Player Misconduct,

If you really are serious go ahead and get the gear. At this stage I recommend Play It Again Sports or craigslist. Once you get better, you are going to know what you like and don't like so don't waste money right now on expensive gear.

Yeah, the UTC skates seemed uber-ghetto when I wore them, but I was just trying to have fun. It says on the UTC Icetown site that they have free introductory lessons on Saturday mornings. Do you guys have any idea what those are like, or if it would be worth it to go? Just don't wanna waste my time if they usually suck. Thanks for the help, this thread is really awesome.

As I said before, I've never taken lessons. They'd probably be a good idea, you'll get taught proper form and all that. Lessons or not, the key is to get out there and practice. Nothing will help you more than quality ice time.

I also concur with getting your own skates. Nothing too expensive, but some good skates that you can get fitted to your own feet and can control the sharpness of the blades.

I can also relate to feeling like a fool. Try going to the driving range and driving a ball 100 yards, while a thirteen year old boy that hasn't hit puberty yet is pounding them over 200 yards right next to you. In the end you ain't gonna get any better by not going out and practicing.

I used to coach kids hockey. Kids that were used to roller used to sign up. We had one kid who had some hockey skills because he had been playing roller hockey, but he had not seriously ice skated before. At our first practice I had everybody sprint goal line to goal line to see how each of them skated. This roller kid got his speed up and when he got to the other end he did a roller style spinning stop. That was the funniest sight ever. He spun like a top before crashing to the ice!

Hey guy/gals...

So I have been skating more, and having more fun. But I have some questions:

1) How do you stop?
2) Is there a proper way to lace the skates so they fit the same everytime?
3) How do I stop skating with bent ankles, and stand up straight?

Last edited:
I'll try to get there a little earlier next week and help you with stopping.

I lace my skates tight since I have torn ligaments in both ankles but I am sure others do different.

New skates are a bit hard to get used to; once they break in they'll be easier to tie. It’s all preference. I don’t tie the front too tight but crank the ankle and just tie them snug one eyelet down.

Try waxed laces, they hold better and if you are going tight - try a skate key (lace lightener).
lace-tighteners.jpg

If your skates are new your ankles shouldn't bend. There should be enough support in them to hold your ankles up. If not, I'd Lace your skates up tighter. See if that helps.

As far as stopping, do you ski? If you do and can imitate when you turn your skis to catch an edge, do the same thing on skates and throw your weight into it. Watch the pros and imitate them.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom