Learning to skate

Get your own skates. Rental Skates Suck, the edges are almost flat, they'll hurt your feet, etc. You can get a decent pair to learn in for around $99. Go to Ice Hawk in Santa Ana and they'll hook you up. TSC has Hockey 101 or whatever it's called and it's really all skating w/ dry land hockey tips. Just skate skate skate.

1) Learn to skate first. Don't even think about sticks and pucks yet.

2) Best option for learning to skate is 1-on-1 lessons, but those are expensive.

3) Next option for learning to skate is group lessons. Most every rink has some Hockey 101 classes.

4) If you really can't afford # 2 or 3, the last resort is to watch the Robby Glantz DVDs (right before your twice-weekly public skating session):

http://www.robbyglantz.com/volumeone.asp
http://www.robbyglantz.com/volumetwo.asp

Something else to think about. I started by playing roller hockey when I was about 15 I think. Before I even played hockey, though, I was on the inlines for a couple of months, really learning to skate and move around and feel comfortable. We played stupd games like tag on inlines in the cul-de-sac (dodging trash cans, mailboxes, cars, and people). Then, I started playing pickup roller hockey out on the tennis courts. After all that I got onto a roller hockey team.

From that, the transition to ice, as I said in my previous post, was really easy. But that might be a cheaper way to go about it out in SoCal (or just about anywhere other than Mystery, Alaska - where the ice is abundant and free year round).

I have been pleasantly surprised with the open ice prices in my area (Burbank and TSC). It makes it a lot easier to want to go out there. Tomorrow is my first time on ice, so I will keep you all updated.

No, Los Angeles (West side). But I would be willing to meet up, nobody wants to look like an idiot alone!

culver ice arena has a pretty good league, but it is not really for the rank beginner.
if you play roller hockey or roller blade, it's not that huge a jump. it's different, for sure, especially stopping. but you won't be completely clowning.
definitely get your own skates. go in and get fitted. it doesn't cost anything extra, and it's totally worth your time. your feet will thank you.
don't skimp on gear. you'll fall a lot. get good elbow pads and shin guards. i'm a fan of high-quality pants, but i block a lot of shots. get shoulder pads, even if you play non-contact. even small shoulder pads will help.
wear a helmet.
have fun.

Ok, I just got back from my first skating session. Why didn't anybody tell me the ice was so slippery?!?!

Overall, I had a great time...and I made leaps and bounds from when I entered the ice (had to hold the wall) to when I left (didn;t have to hold the wall). I noticed that I was skating on my inside edges...hopefully my ankle strength will improve and I will get better. I plan to go M,W,F.

I noticed that I was skating on my inside edges...hopefully my ankle strength will improve and I will get better. I plan to go M,W,F.

That's normal, and yes your muscles will adapt. You'll notice when you start skating that you're using muscles that you rarely ever use, simply to keep balance. Ice skating is also great cardio. Good to hear you had fun!

Ok, I just got back from my first skating session. Why didn't anybody tell me the ice was so slippery?!?!

Overall, I had a great time...and I made leaps and bounds from when I entered the ice (had to hold the wall) to when I left (didn;t have to hold the wall). I noticed that I was skating on my inside edges...hopefully my ankle strength will improve and I will get better. I plan to go M,W,F.

yeah, the inside is where you want to be. good skates will help your ankles, but you'll get stronger soon enough. you'll also notice your groin, hamstring and glutes will tighten up. the big bonus is, you'll get the round ass chicks dig.

another thing... bend your knees a lot more than you think you need to. if your lower back hurts, it's because you're leaning over way too much. lower your center of gravity by bending your knees, not your back.

As far as the ankle situation. I have torn ligaments in both ankles, I have CCM skates that I had heat molded to my feet so they are nice and snug. Makes it a lot more comfortable to skate without worring about folding my foot under me.

Id go to public sessions ,5-10 times. ....

Nothing angers me more than ice rinks that don't (or worse, won't) turn the direction around once in a while during a public session. All the laziest people on the planet must be drawn to working in ice rinks.

You must get just as comfortable doing left-over-right crossovers (going clockwise around the rink) as right-over left (going counter-clockwise ... the default for most rinks). If your rink won't turn the direction around, then just go against the grain on your own every 20 minutes, and if the rink attendent complains that you're not going in the "right" direction: tell him to get on the PA system and switch it up or else **** off.

Nothing angers me more than ice rinks that don't (or worse, won't) turn the direction around once in a while during a public session. All the laziest people on the planet must be drawn to working in ice rinks.

You must get just as comfortable doing left-over-right crossovers (going clockwise around the rink) as right-over left (going counter-clockwise ... the default for most rinks). If your rink won't turn the direction around, then just go against the grain on your own every 20 minutes, and if the rink attendent complains that you're not going in the "right" direction: tell him to get on the PA system and switch it up or else **** off.
Yes, it's very retarded that they don't change directions.

I usually just go into one of the corners and go the opposite direction around the face-off circle, keeping and eye out for oncoming traffic of course.

Yes, it's very retarded that they don't change directions.

I usually just go into one of the corners and go the opposite direction around the face-off circle, keeping and eye out for oncoming traffic of course.

I've seen enough head-on collisions from this (usually between adults and children) to know that this is not the appropriate solution.

If I were making an unreasonable demand (which I've been known to do), I could understand the rinks ignoring it ..... but I'm not. It's just flat-out how-did-****-sapiens-ever-rise-from-the-caves laziness.

I purchased a pair of skates over the weekend. I got them "baked" and I had to get one section stretched out a little. Of course a sharpening came with the package. I am going out on the ice today to try them out. Maintenance tips?

I ended up getting these skates: http://shop.nhl.com/sm-nike-bauer-supreme-10-senior-ice-hockey-skate--pi-2213061.html.

Wish me luck! I will give you an update of the embarrassment tomorrow.
Let me know how they feel. How much did you pay total with the sharpening package and all.

And learn to skate well WITHOUT THE STICK!!! Get your own skates, those rentals are no good.

Everybody has given great advise, but this is my favorite. I've seen guys try to learn to skate in pickup games - it really hurts you if you use your stick for balance (your skating and your game).

I would add, if your goal is to play hockey, that you get some pads on. then, first thing when you step on the ice, fall on them. That gives you confidence in your pads and takes away some of the awkwardness because you know falling won't hurt.

Good luck and have fun!

Maintenance tips?

I don't really know. Pretty common sense stuff like let them air dry after you skate, buy some blade covers, wipe the blades off after your done. Other than that I don't think there's much to do. At least, I don't do anything else to my skates and they seem to be fine, had them for a few years now.

moisture definitely hurts - I learned the hard way. Make sure your skates can dry off. dry the blades, don't keep them in your hockey bag, and take the footbeds out so they can dry.

Hey man.. good to see you did it!

Lots of good advice in here.. I would also add to hit the stick times as much as you can. You dont even have to use a puck, just getting out there with the stick in your hand and the pads on will help.. I felt I progressed slower in publics cause it hurt like a mofo if you fell on your knees or something without your pads.. so I tried less.

Let me know if you are going to hit a stick time at TSC or Culver, and if I dont have to work I'll come out and give you some pointers :)

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom