***Playoffs Rd 1, GM 2 GDT - Kings @ Oilers 4/19/23 on >>BSSC<< & ESPN***

I was hoping we’d get off to a better start than last game. Instead we’re down 2-0 & we get 0 shots on goal for most of the 1st. At least we got the split & didn’t lose 8-2 like last year. But we need a better start than this. Anyway the bright spots were Vilardi & Korpisalo.

Durzi usually due for a stinker every 20 games or so, so hopefully that was the one high risk Durzi for this series and he's back to being high reward Durzi for the rest.

I couldn't believe he tried that pinch against McDavid. I was yelling at him even before he failed.

Weak third goal or not, Korpi was great last nite.

1st game he looked alright, this game I have no idea where he could be described as a "force", nor anyone else for that matter besides maybe Korpi, who gave us a chance.

Byfield and Grundstrom were by far the most physical forwards for the Kings in game 2. Both credited with 6 hits. Byfield had the bigger hits which aren't always meaningful but when the gameplan is grit and grind they are essential. 1st line held its own 5v5 in part because of Byfield's physical play.

Gabe Vilardi on his first game back -

"The 1st period for me, I haven't played in a month, you come back & it's 100 miles an hour. For me personally, the 1st period was really tough, just everything's happening really fast, but I think I settled in well as the game went on."

Todd McLellan on falling behind early -

"It's a poor recipe for taking a swing at this team, is falling behind. When you're ahead, you have a much better chance of checking & not taking as much risk as you have to to come back. Obviously the start wasn't where it needed to be."

Phillip Danault on what he feels the team could do with a full 60-minute effort.

"We can do better than that, we can take the lead, so we don't have to always catch somebody, catch the score. That would be the difference."

All from Zach Dooley on Twitter.

The problem with both games was the starts. Kings need some smelling salts or something before the puck drops in the 1st. They got steamrolled in both opening periods. Can’t happen again at home. Grateful we stole a win on the road.

I think this is an important and true quote by Danault. The Kings have played two of their worst periods of the season and they still left Edmonton with a win. If they can find a way to not get down by 2 and maybe perhaps oh I don't know get a damn lead for 1 second of game time in this series, maybe we'll start to see the Oilers unravel a bit.

I think this is an important and true quote by Danault. The Kings have played two of their worst periods of the season and they still left Edmonton with a win. If they can find a way to not get down by 2 and maybe perhaps oh I don't know get a damn lead for 1 second of game time in this series, maybe we'll start to see the Oilers unravel a bit.
Facts

If Fiala should return to the lineup this weekend, Arty definitely needs to sit. The game the Oilers play is both too fast and too physical for him. If he can't find open ice and get his shots on the net, then he has no value.

Move AI down with Kupari and Tonka. GKG!!!

Any rumblings about when Fiala is coming back anytime before Christmas? Lol

Byfield and Grundstrom were by far the most physical forwards for the Kings in game 2. Both credited with 6 hits. Byfield had the bigger hits which aren't always meaningful but when the gameplan is grit and grind they are essential. 1st line held its own 5v5 in part because of Byfield's physical play.

Playing the basics of your game IDK if I'd call "force" is all. I know you compare him to Justin Williams but.. yeah. Agree to disagree. I thought he showed a lot of promise game 1 - I thought the whole team was weak game 2, but mostly because it was same mistakes as game 1.

If Fiala should return to the lineup this weekend, Arty definitely needs to sit. The game the Oilers play is both too fast and too physical for him. If he can't find open ice and get his shots on the net, then he has no value.

Move AI down with Kupari and Tonka. GKG!!!

Yeah. His hard and wide shot is not doing much.

I couldn't believe he tried that pinch against McDavid. I was yelling at him even before he failed.

Weak third goal or not, Korpi was great last nite.

Durzi and Moore - yikes.

These 10:30 starts are killer for me lol.. heart gets pumping, I'm up til 3, can't sleep after 3. Will hopefully be long playoff run, but damn caffeine is lifeblood atm.

Last edited:
Free McFlurries in your McDonalds app today!! Guess the McFlurry Minute works on the road now, too.

Last edited:
It's already been said,but we can't afford any more bad starts. We need to figure out how to ge going earlier. Maybe tell the guys the game starts at six.

Fiala being out is killing us. His speed and shiftiness will help back off the Oilers defense, get o zone penetrations. At this point, the Kings are struggling with that, and relying on dump and chase plus tenacious forechecking to trying and cause turnovers and puck recoveries. Need to be able to put the oiler defenders on their heels to allow higher shot volume.

It's already been said,but we can't afford any more bad starts. We need to figure out how to ge going earlier. Maybe tell the guys the game starts at six.

Actually, game 4 does start at 6 pm, PDT. I mentioned after game 1, that if that game repeats itself 10 times, the OIlers win it 9 times. So, last night's game was essentially a repeat of game 1, and it shouldn't be a surprise the Oilers won. If the game repeats itself the next three games, the Kings will be golfing next week. However, it's encouraging that the Kings are getting healthy (with only Fiala out now, and Vilardi already up to speed). The home crowd will help, but having last change (and dictating who matches McDavid and Draisaitl) will help even more.

No idea what Durzi was trying to do on that go ahead goal. He should have played him aggressive and gotten right in his face. He gave Korpi no chance of making the save.

Back