The Avengers/Marvel movies

Well that was only one of the Stories involving Thanos. I best remember the battles with Adam Warlock & the original Captain Mar-vel (not to be confused with the DC character) These were topped by the graphic novel "The Death of Captain Marvel" written and drawn by Jim Starlin.

AND whenever they do get around to making a movie with Thanos in it maybe they'll actually collect and reprint all the Captain Marvel and Silver Surfer stuff Thanos appeared in and I can finally re-read them all without having to dig through mountains of comic boxes! Yay!

Disney Confirms THE AVENGERS 2

Anyone who sat through the film’s credits should have a good idea of where The Avengers 2 could go villain-wise, but I think the key to a follow-up will be the return of Joss Whedon as writer/director. He is the reason The Avengers is a good film as opposed to simply an expensive film, and his recipe of humor, character development, and pure entertainment made for one of the most enjoyable moviegoing experiences in a long time.

THE AVENGERS Ending Explained

More Thanos-centric info. And yeah Doc...even I gotta 'squeee' a little bit at the thought of a well done Thanos. Next to Doc Doom he is my all time fave villain. Granted, they will dumb it down and cgi it up so the chances of me being anything other than disappointed are next to nil, but a man can dream.

Damage%20Control%201.jpg

Ok...so I saw Avengers today. First off the 3d was unecessary and really only there to inflate ticket prices. Funny, the theater we went to had the 2d in a smaller theater and it was sold out. A 3-d showing an hour later was almost empty. We just said **** it and sacrificed the extra $3.50 per...but it rankles.

I need to say this regarding Thanos...SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! Sorry Doc, I may be acting childish, but in that little 4 second clip they got it SO RIGHT. Nerdgazm seriously. Ok so some of the complaints I read...Doc, your complaint about the scenes in 'the cosmos' looking, was it 'star trek generation' bad...valid, but it soooooooo looked like the Starlin work. I wish they had shown Thanos sitting in a chair made of rock...seriously, I cannot wait to see that come to fruition. Ok, other stuff...I had thought till now that Whedon was basically wasted on what should have been a cut & paste type of movie. I was wrong. This truly felt like a cohesive story deftly managed. It wasn't a bunch of set-pieces strung together. It was a quality effort. Tom Hiddleston was the glue that held the movie together. With his wicked little smile he personified Loki's mischievous nature. Nailed it. It was a tad long and it had some problems before you think I loved this movie. First off...when did Tony Stark become Peter Parker with all the quips and snottiness. Didn't like it. He has slid into parody at this point, 'oh I'm a rich bad boy...'. Tiresome. TOO MUCH Black Widow. And...nice Russian by way of California attempt at some hint of an accent. Not a ScarJo fan looks or acting wise, so too much Black Widow. TOO MUCH Nick Fury. When he did his 'we all have to come together' speech I almost expected a few sharks to Deep Blue Sea him out of the picture. Agent Coulson's apparent demise...BOO. I realize the need to make it seem like actual danger was involved but it seemed cruel. Jeremy Renner, although not given a lot to do, was stiff and 'superheroey' in his movements. And with no costume he's no superhero, sorry. Cap'n was a stiff and that costume looks store bought. Biggest thing, the entire end set-piece was created on a friggin computer. So tired of seeing technically sterile cgi take the place of creative ART. And all the 'threats' look the same. I could take a screen cap from Transformers/Battleship/This and without the clear markers you would be hard pressed to match em up. Oh, and The Hulk. Ruffalo was ok. A little too world weary, but servicable. The Hulk was a hoot though. Just raw power. Like a little kid aimlessly gnawing at whatever he caught out the corner of his eye. And when Loki had his soliloquy interrupted...priceless. It was neither as bad as I thought or as good as it should have been. But it was a solid effort. I may have been at least a little dismissive.

Ok...the guy wrangling Loki/talking to Thanos in the post-script...sure looked like a Skrull. Anyone else have an idea on that? Goddamned I wish the video of the post credits sequence would be posted already...best part of the movie and definitely worth the price of admission.

Was having a hard time explaining to Kq how 'Thanos was in love with death' this article helps some...

THE AVENGERS Ending Thanos Explained [SPOILERS]

He is obsessed with Death. So when the Chitauri leader says that to fight The Avengers would be “courting death itself,” it gives Thanos a smiley face.

Comics being comics, death isn’t only a concept; it’s a literal being. From the Marvel Wiki:

Growing in power and infamy as he traveled the universe, Thanos once met Death itself, as it appeared to him embodied in a female form. Thanos was infatuated with the being, and endeavored to make himself worthy in order to earn her love in return. With an army under his command, he nearly destroyed his former home of Titan, declaring himself its ruler. He then sought out the powerful Cosmic Cube [known as the "Tesseract" in the movies], and a number of Earth’s heroes assembled to confront him.

Mistress Death believed that there was a cosmic imbalance in the universe – that there were more living than there were dead. As a result, Death resurrects her loyal servant Thanos, who is appointed the task of killing off half of the population of the universe. Not only is Thanos’ power augmented by Death, he is granted access to the Infinity Well, where he realizes the power of the Infinity Gems. After much plotting and scheming, Thanos wrestles the gems from their owners and gains mastery over Power, Mind, Space, Reality, Time, and the Soul.

so yea...SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

They weren't Skrull they were chitauri.

What's a chitauri?

It doesn't matter.

They weren't Skrull they were chitauri.

What's a chitauri?

It doesn't matter.

No..I know the soldiers were Chitauri, but the handler with the cowl and the metal gear around the bottom of his face looked a little skrully. The guy that told Thanos the whole, '...to court death.' line...that guy.

No..I know the soldiers were Chitauri, but the handler with the cowl and the metal gear around the bottom of his face looked a little skrully. The guy that told Thanos the whole, '...to court death.' line...that guy.

Oh.

I still don't think it matters.

It could matter. Look, Whedon really made an impressive movie just based on the fact that it hit the ground running. Little backstory/origin time wasting. And...the point where the movie might have bogged down/gotten set-piecey(the Heli-Carrier prop fixing/Loki's plan in action) was actually one of the parts of the movie that worked really well. If they let Whedon take the next step...and he commits to making a movie w/Thanos and the Skrulls as the big bad, well...that's a movie I want to see. Add in the Avengers roster possibly getting some geek tweaks by adding an Ant-man/Black Panther/Vision...and we may actually have something. Look, they are always going to skew for the mass audience. The BILLION in 2 weeks will not change that. But maybe they sneak some stuff in knowing that a sequel already is going to have a massive built in audience.

The Avengers -- spoiler discussion

Really??? I thought everything action oriented on the helicarrier was totally boring and "set piecy". And made no sense. And was boring.

The Avengers -- spoiler discussion

No way man. That sequence made zero sense and had zero stakes. More faceless punchfests and endless 'splosions. For what? And why weren't the ever in free fall? For an aircraft that was supposedly in jeopardy of falling Out of the sky they all seemed awfully level and generally comfy.

Back
Top Bottom