Home Cookin' The BBQ/Smokers/Smoked Meats Thread...

There's adhesives that'll do high temps. The BGE uses something that will withstand over 700 degrees AND is food-safe, but I'm not sure what.

I would have to play with which adhesives work best. think it's a good idea to get the powdercoating done before I do that? I think so.

Probably, yeah.

Not sure if I mentioned this, but I made pulled pork enchiladas (red sauce, flour tortillas) with roasted corn, black beans and salsa mixed in with the meat. Without question the best enchilada I've ever had.

Not sure if I mentioned this, but I made pulled pork enchiladas (red sauce, flour tortillas) with roasted corn, black beans and salsa mixed in with the meat. Without question the best enchilada I've ever had.

Care to share the recipe for the red sauce?

Take a 5lb pork shoulder, put it in a slow cooker and set to low...
1.25 tablespoons mesquite flavored Liquid Smoke
1.5 tablespoons Hawaiian sea salt

1) Place Pork Shoulder in slow cooker.
2) Stand it up so that the shoulder-bone can be seen coming out the top.
3) Pour the liquid smoke down the sides (I use latex gloves and rub the liquid smoke into the surface of the shoulder).
4) Rub with salt.
5) Cook on low for about 16 hours.
6) The juices/fat will rise to about 3/4 full at approximately the 10 hour mark (or sooner depending on how fatty your cut is).
7) At about 12 hours, you should be able to pry the shoulder bone out (with tongs or pliers).
8) Try to push the exposed meat into the juices, so they don't overcook.

Serve over steamed Thai Jasmine rice...
Ono grindz~

Take a 5lb pork shoulder, put it in a slow cooker and set to low...
1.25 tablespoons mesquite flavored Liquid Smoke
1.5 tablespoons Hawaiian sea salt

1) Place Pork Shoulder in slow cooker.
2) Stand it up so that the shoulder-bone can be seen coming out the top.
3) Pour the liquid smoke down the sides (I use latex gloves and rub the liquid smoke into the surface of the shoulder).
4) Rub with salt.
5) Cook on low for about 16 hours.
6) The juices/fat will rise to about 3/4 full at approximately the 10 hour mark (or sooner depending on how fatty your cut is).
7) At about 12 hours, you should be able to pry the shoulder bone out (with tongs or pliers).
8) Try to push the exposed meat into the juices, so they don't overcook.

Serve over steamed Thai Jasmine rice...
Ono grindz~

And if you want to add that Banana Leaf flavor aka the Kalua Pig style, add a handfull of fresh, unchopped, clean Savoy Spinach. It has the exact same Tannin % as Banana leaf.

-Kama'aina stuck where no Banana's grow.

Got The Hulk fired up right now, doing some baby-backs. I'm running the DIGI-Q DX2 BBQ Guru temp control computer on it, and it seems to be holding the pit at 225 degrees to a range of +10/-5 degrees, which is probably a lot tighter than I could hold it by fussing with the bottom door and daisy wheel.

After we eat tonight, I'll be firing it up again for an overnight smoke of 20lbs of pork butt. That will be the real test of the temp controller, because I'm NOT gonna fuss with the fire--build the way I normally would. Im just going to fill the pit, light it, set the Guru to ramp it (where it starts to lower the temp of the pit when the food is within 30 degrees of preset internal temp, and holds the pit temp only slightly above food internal temp as long as there is charcoal) until it's done some time tomorrow. We'll be packing it and freezing it for our trip to the cabin in Yosemite early next month. After the pork is done tomorrow, we are going to roast some chickens spatchcock-style for the same purpose.

Cooking fiends.

By the way, this is the BEST dry rub I've ever had (even better than the ones I got in my junior year of high school...HEEEYOOOOO)!!

dillodust008qe6.jpg

It comes from LaRue Tactical, and the only way you can get it is to buy other merchandise from them (guns, pieces, parts, optics, etc). They will then drop a bottle of Dillo Dust, a nice ballcap, a pocket copy of the U.S. Constitution, and a couple of bumper stickers that say "God Bless Our Troops - Especially The Snipers" in the box.

I'm almost out of my second bottle, and I don't need any more parts at the moment. UGH!! :)

Last edited:
so, what are you all grilling up this weekend?

Im thinking whole chicken or some fish.

so, what are you all grilling up this weekend?

Im thinking whole chicken or some fish.

I got some porterhouses for Memorial Day and gonna do a big ol' rack of spareribs on Saturday.

I got some porterhouses for Memorial Day and gonna do a big ol' rack of spareribs on Saturday.
wish I could do red meat. need to cut back on them.

forgot to add babyback ribs to the mix. I ****in love that stuff. they so easy to smoke up.

I'm doing 2, 10 lb Pork Butts in the smoker. I'll be putting them in the smoker tomorrow morning at around 2am for a 16 hour dose of 210 degrees and copious amounts of Kiawe. Other than a full blown Imu, I'm going tradional Hawaiian Style this weekend. Chee Hoo!

I'm doing almost ten pounds of flat-cut brisket (two 5lb'ers) tomorrow morning starting at around 5am. Should take around 10 hours at 250 degrees, I reckon.

I made a pretty kick-ass extra rack to add surface area to allow me to smoke more at once!!

946829_10201051132098044_957867613_n.jpg

Got an 18" grill grate at Lowe's and adapted some legs to it made from 3/8"x6" carriage bolts, washers, locknuts, and acorn nuts.

Last edited:
I'm doing almost ten pounds of flat-cut brisket (two 5lb'ers) tomorrow morning starting at around 5am. Should take around 10 hours at 250 degrees, I reckon.

I made a pretty kick-ass extra rack to add surface area to allow me to smoke more at once!!

946829_10201051132098044_957867613_n.jpg

Got an 18" grill grate at Lowe's and adapted some legs to it made from 3/8"x6" carriage bolts, washers, locknuts, and acorn nuts.

Hope that hardware is Stainless bro. Zinc plate and cooking heat don't mix well. Neither will the neoprene (or vinyl, whichever type you bought) in the acorn nuts.

Last edited:
Hope that hardware is Stainless bro. Zinc plate and cooking heat don't mix well. Neither will the neoprene (or vinyl, whichever type you bought) in the acorn nuts.

To my knowledge, Zinc-coated is only an issue if temps get well above what I will be using this grate for (250 and less, dome temps). Zinc won't sublimate until 1650 degrees C, iirc (of course, much lower temps if you're in a vacuum environment).

The acorn nuts, however, I didn't consider.

If you're good with it than so am I. Zinc, primary, actually melts at 419.53 ?C -or- 787.15 ?F and will start to ionize at a much lower temp... 400 ?F (+/-). Just make sure you keep the zinc free of acids including citric and fatty. Between the dissimilar metals, temp fluctuations and acids, the durability the coating will degrade pretty fast.

Btw, Zinc is not cosidered "food safe" by the FDA. Mild and Stainless steel are.

I'm not trying to give you **** dude, just want to keep you, mamma and the youngens safe.

Last edited:
This is one of those things that, it appears, has been debated like crazy all over the barbecue forums.

the grills in my smoker were all made by me. a mixture of mild and stainless steel, whichever scraps of 3/16" rods laid around at the shop.

If you're good with it than so am I. Zinc, primary, actually melts at 419.53 ?C -or- 787.15 ?F and will start to ionize at a much lower temp... 400 ?F (+/-). Just make sure you keep the zinc free of acids including citric and fatty. Between the dissimilar metals, temp fluctuations and acids, the durability the coating will degrade pretty fast.

Btw, Zinc is not cosidered "food safe" by the FDA. Mild and Stainless steel are.

I'm not trying to give you **** dude, just want to keep you, mamma and the youngens safe.

I know you're not giving me ****, and I didn't take it that way. No worries.

My brisket is acting ****ing strange. I put it on at 6am. Here it is 9am and the internal temp has already hit 155 with a dome temp of 250. Never had one get this hot this fast before. And yes, I checked the placement of the thermocouple.

I'm hoping the temp stalls for a couple hours as I expect it to. If not, I may end up having to use the Texas crutch to save these.

Back
Top Bottom