Booze The recommend-a-beer thread

DougW8 said:
Now that there is one close, I can pick it up more often. In fact, that was my first purchase. I'll be up in Portland for a few days starting Sunday. I plan on sampling lots of brews while I'm there. Hope I can stay awake during my conference.
If you can bring me back a couple six packs of Blue Heron, I will be forever in debt to you

bp-brews-blueheron-03.jpg

roenick said:
I have said it before and I will say it again:

Alaskan Amber

http://www.alaskanbeer.com/ourbrew.html
I agree with that choice. I found it while on an Alaskan cruise two years ago. Then recently a local restaurant has it on tap and I actually found it in an Alberstons.

Another favorite is Firestone Double Barrell Unfiltered. You can't get it at the store but at the brewhouse it is mighty tasty.........

GALLY said:
I agree with that choice. I found it while on an Alaskan cruise two years ago. Then recently a local restaurant has it on tap and I actually found it in an Alberstons.

Another favorite is Firestone Double Barrell Unfiltered. You can't get it at the store but at the brewhouse it is mighty tasty.........

I LOVE Firestone Double Barrell. Possibly the best microbrew out there.

Haven't been to the brewhouse, if i ever go i'll try the unfiltered.

Azagthoth said:

It's not bad at all, but in my brewpub travels, there are plenty of better brews out there. Keep tasting as many different ones as you can.

Azagthoth said:

If you are ever traveling on the central coast the Firestone Brewery is in Buelton across the freeway from Pea Soup Andersons. I think they just opened another one in Atascadero right of the freeway as well but I haven't been to that one.

I highly recommend dropping in for a quick taste if you are in the area. They also have a really good chili if have a chance to stay for a meal....

kingsjohn said:
If you can bring me back a couple six packs of Blue Heron, I will be forever in debt to you

bp-brews-blueheron-03.jpg

I brought a couple of six packs back last year, but I drank them before I ever had a chance to get them to you. I'm flying this year, so may be a bit harder. I'll see what I can do. Really, I thought 1 six pack for me, 1 for John, Ok, 7 bottles for me, 5 for John. Well, I'm sure John would be happy if I saved him 3 beers. Some indication of the quality of that brew. Maybe I should just arrange shipping while I'm there. :)

go said:
For a Pilsner, try the ones from Plzen, Czech Republic.

Pilsner Urquell and Czechvar are a couple you can find.
quick question..... how many of you know that czechvar's real name is budvar and that its the ORIGINAL budweiser?

garthiac said:
quick question..... how many of you know that czechvar's real name is budvar and that its the ORIGINAL budweiser?

I've had a Budvar in Prague and I was told it is not the original Budweiser. Urban myth.

DougW8 said:
I brought a couple of six packs back last year, but I drank them before I ever had a chance to get them to you. I'm flying this year, so may be a bit harder. I'll see what I can do. Really, I thought 1 six pack for me, 1 for John, Ok, 7 bottles for me, 5 for John. Well, I'm sure John would be happy if I saved him 3 beers. Some indication of the quality of that brew. Maybe I should just arrange shipping while I'm there. :)
That and the Pintail were my 2 favorite beers before Bridgeport stopped shipping to Cali

I will gladly pay you for the beer, the shipping and a six pack for yourself. Hook a KJ up!

Budvar is indeed the original Budweiser, the trademark of which Anheuser-Busch has been filing lawsuits in order to try and protect. this has been going on for a couple of years, with both breweries attacking each other. Budvar even launched a worldwide campaign to blame A-B and other big breweries for the decline in quality of the beers. can't disagree with them, eh?

LINK

I've had a Budvar in Prague and I was told it is not the original Budweiser. Urban myth.
so, was it any better than A-B's version?

btw, Falstaff, owned by Pabst, has ceased production due to declining sales. Falstaff was one of the biggest selling beers in the U.S. in the 50's and 60's. the last batch had been delivered last month.

The Budvar was equally dreadful. I think both breweries should just go away then. Terrible stuff. And no one should be an expert on Bud.

Arrogant Ba$tard said:
The Budvar was equally dreadful. I think both breweries should just go away then. Terrible stuff. And no one should be an expert on Bud.

Don't be so mean. We rely on Az's Bud expertise.

we need to have an expert on Bud, otherwise people will blindly devote their lives to ****ty beers.

GALLY said:
If you are ever traveling on the central coast the Firestone Brewery is in Buelton across the freeway from Pea Soup Andersons. I think they just opened another one in Atascadero right of the freeway as well but I haven't been to that one.

I highly recommend dropping in for a quick taste if you are in the area. They also have a really good chili if have a chance to stay for a meal....
thanks for the heads up! I should pay them a visit next time I go up north to see my grandma.

BeerMan said:
thanks. I'll have to pick that up today since I am low on beers. well, I have a few Fat Tires left but they apparently are undrinkable now.

is this the beginning of the Beer Of The Week thing?

If you pick up some Pintail, let me know how it compares to the Fatties.
BTW - why are the Fatties undrinkable now?

apparently, they aged too much. as you've said before, it is better off the tap. or if bought in Colorado.

when I say undrinkable, it means that the beer is mostly flat. I was not at all impressed with the taste either. I have three bottles left.

kingsjohn said:
That and the Pintail were my 2 favorite beers before Bridgeport stopped shipping to Cali

I will gladly pay you for the beer, the shipping and a six pack for yourself. Hook a KJ up!

I'll see what I can do.

The nectar of the god's is also known by the name Kilkenny. Brewed in the town of Kilkenny Ireland.

Best beer there has ever been. Unfortunately, the only place you can get it is pretty much every where except North America. Unless that's changed since the last time I checked which has been some time. First time I had it was in a pub called Kitty O'Shea's in Darwin, Australia. I'm not much of a beer drinker, I usually stick to the harder side of the liqour house, but I would drink before ice water in Iraq. Wonderful taste and smooth. I highly recommend it, if you can ever get your hands on some.

Also had it in Thailand, but it was like 10 USD per pint. Much cheaper in Australia.

http://www.maplesportsbar.com/index.php?template=index.tpl&node=22

Back
Top Bottom