All Things: Streaming TV Options

You Can Soon Stream ESPN on the Web for $20 a Month

http://gizmodo.com/you-can-now-stream-espn-on-the-web-for-20-a-month-1677531245

Sports has been one of the last great hold-outs of cord cutting, but now a little progress is being made in the right direction—soon, you'll be able to get live sports without a cable subscription, too. Dish's new web TV service will let you stream ESPN for 20 bucks a month.

Re/code reports that Dish's new offering, dubbed Sling TV (coming soon), will also give you access to Food Network, CNN, and the Travel channel, among 10 channels for the flat rate of 20 dollars. Sling TV only works for one user at a time, so if you plan on handing out your password to your friends like you do with Netflix, well, that dog just won't hunt. This service is ideal for laptop or tablet watching. Although, you will be able to stream Sling TV to your actual TV, but you'd have to do that via a Web TV box, a la Fire TV or Roku (but not Apple TV, apparently).

Interesting, but $20...is it only espn, or all the espn networks? if I could get the espn's, twc/fox sports, food network, tbs, tnt, fx, comedy central, bbc america for say $30/month, then I might be in.

I believe it is only for ESPN. It is a start but ultimately what I see happening when everything is streaming, we will still be paying the same or increased price for what we want to watch.

Amazon Studios To Produce & Acquire Original Movies For Theatrical Release And Distribution On Amazon Prime Instant Video

Amazon Studios has announced they will produce and acquire original films for theatrical release and, of course, for their Amazon Prime Instant Video service. Even more, the company has hired respected producer Ted Hope ("Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," "Martha Marcy May Marlene," "21 Grams," "In The Bedroom," "The Ice Storm") to lead their Amazon Original Movies division, bringing the endeavor an instant level of industry credibility and veteran experience.

Amazon has big plans, aiming to release up to twelve movies per year, with the first slated to arrive by the end of 2015.

This is all just good news, in my opinion. More competition, easier access.

BOSCH: Review
http://collider.com/bosch-review/

Bosch is Amazon’s first drama, but it treads on familiar ground. The 10-episode series pulls its material from several detective novels by Michael Connelly, who also developed the series and shares a writing credit with The Wire‘s Eric Overmyer. Bosch stars Titus Welliver as Harry Bosch (yes, like the 15th century apocalyptic painter Hieronymus Bosch), an LAPD homicide detective. There is no other pretension here, though — Bosch is the hardest of hard-boiled cops, and the case that will likely dominate this first season is as grisly as can be imagined.

Though Bosch is the latest TV iteration of a brilliant/rogue murder cop, Bosch is a throwback in every possible way. A rookie says to him that working in homicide is one of the last noble professions, and as Bosch himself says later to a prosecutor who is working on behalf of a family suing him for a wrongful death suit, “I need to work. This is the work I do.” The show is an homage to an old kind of tough cop, without tipping too far into noir.

Read some of the books, good stuff. Like Welliver and Lance Reddick is in it too. Knew when I saw the billboards I was gonna have to give this a go.

I'm in the midst of walking dead on netflix. Bosch on amazon, franco to lead a stephen king series on Hulu.....I HATE THIS

There's certainly no shortage of amazing programing available. I'm onto season 4 of "The Walking Dead" and I just started watching "Rake" from Australia that someone here recommended which I like so far as well.

Back
Top Bottom