***LA Kings @ Vegas Golden Knights GDT 12/28/23 7:00pm on BSW***

During the Knights - Ducks game the other night (when the Ducks were blowing out the Knights), Hayward mentioned (paraphrasing here) that we would not want to be at the Knights practice if they lost to the Kings after losing to the Ducks. The Knights played a strong game, determined to end their losing streak, and the Kings couldn't match it. This felt more like a 4-1 loss than a 3-2 loss, so it's actually a good sign that the Kings were right there at the end.

I don't think the Kings played terrible, they just couldn't really get the motor running. The PP is obviously killing us right now so that needs a quick fix if possible. As I said on Twitter, the Knights played like a team that just got beat down by a terrible team while the Kings played like a team that had just beat down a terrible team...one team came in looking a bit more motivated and ready to go.

Its an interesting question when you've got everyone jumping on the bandwagon, what have you done for me lately matters when more people are noticing. So did this matter more? or does the fact that the season series was edged by them 3 points to 4 have meaning? One point in December matters just as much as in April, or does it? Fans paying means they matter to the bottom line just as much even if they aren't die hards. Realistically it was an emotional game that matters a lot right now but I'm already getting my Edmonton angst on myself.
It is an interesting question, and I actually edited my comment right away because I didn’t want to be overly dismissive. It’s valid to look at the Kings’ record against better teams so far this season and want more. I really don’t need to come in and tell people that’s not a concern.

Now I’ve got an opportunity to address my original comment anyway, so I’ll clarify. I emphasize the Kings’ pts percentage over individual games. And when additional variables come up to make a game less winnable I worry that much less. I don’t like how the Kings were outworked for most of that game, or that they couldn’t solve the shot blocking. Losing to Vegas given their head-on-head season series doesn’t bother me, however. I see a team they have a chance to beat in the playoffs.

Right now Kings have a pts % over .700. A pts % of .667, or winning 2 out of 3 games, puts a team at 109 pts on the year. It’s a total good teams, including some division winners, land around every season. It’s more than the Kings have ever scored. So long as they are playing at or above .667, it’s easier for me personally to not sweat individual games. They also cannot achieve 109 pts or so without having beaten good teams along the way. So if they keep this current pace up the question will answer itself.

With you on the EDM angst. I appreciated PLD’s chippiness last night against Marchessault and the team will need more of that tomorrow.

Saturday’s game against Edmonton isn’t a must win but it’s damn near close if only for the mental aspect of the game within the game.

Bottom line is the Kings best players need to be their best players. That did not happen last night.

Saturday’s game against Edmonton isn’t a must win but it’s damn near close if only for the mental aspect of the game within the game.

Bottom line is the Kings best players need to be their best players. That did not happen last night.
Saturday is setting up to be a major disappointment. Kings are Konging at home, EDM is hot right now. Could be ugly. Hope the boys get up for this one.

Before we cut bait on a 22 year old offensive winger I'd suggest exploring his draft class and look at how productive he's been compared to his peers. Kaliyev is right on schedule. He's the 11th highest scoring player from the 2019 draft. To this point in his career he scores goals about the same rate as Kaapo Kakko, Nils Hoglander, Alex Newhook and Kirby Dach.

Maybe we should hold onto a kid who's just barely scratching the surface of his talent and see if he can develop other skills.

I'm a big Kupari fan, but I think kaliyev is going to have a fine NHL career.
I haven't seen the toughness in board battles, the hockey smarts nor the skating ability in Kaliyev's game. Martin Frk had a big shot too...

Last edited:
Before we cut bait on a 22 year old offensive winger I'd suggest exploring his draft class and look at how productive he's been compared to his peers. Kaliyev is right on schedule. He's the 11th highest scoring player from the 2019 draft. To this point in his career he scores goals about the same rate as Kaapo Kakko, Nils Hoglander, Alex Newhook and Kirby Dach.

Maybe we should hold onto a kid who's just barely scratching the surface of his talent and see if he can develop other skills.

It's not the numbers... it's the eye test. He just isn't as skilled at playing the Kings game as the other forwards on the team. When was the last time he won a 50/50 puck? Is he effective at cycling? Does he have the ability to create open ice for himself to get his shot off via his skating? I don't see it...

I haven't seen the toughness in board battles, the hockey smarts nor the skating ability in Kaliyev's game. Martin Frk had a big shot too...
Miles ahead of anything Frk was. He's got too much hockey intelligence not to last a long time, and his game is already 100 times better than when he first broke in. He's starting to get some 5 on 5 offensive confidence with PLD, I trust this staff to keep him reminded of the defensive side of things.

It's not the numbers... it's the eye test. He just isn't as skilled at playing the Kings game as the other forwards on the team. When was the last time he won a 50/50 puck? Is he effective at cycling? Does he have the ability to create open ice for himself to get his shot off via his skating? I don't see it...
My eyes see a very young man still trying to get his legs under himself in the NHL. Kaliyev is the same age as Laferriere and his overall game is more complete. He’s shown tremendous growth from his rookie season and he remains a work in progress. Productivity from cheap, cost-controlled players is essential to filling out the roster.

Yes he does have a lot of work to do to be a dependable winger but that’s the normal progression of later 1st rounders/early 2nd rounders. He’s following in the path of Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson.

My eyes see a very young man still trying to get his legs under himself in the NHL. Kaliyev is the same age as Laferriere and his overall game is more complete. He’s shown tremendous growth from his rookie season and he remains a work in progress. Productivity from cheap, cost-controlled players is essential to filling out the roster.

Yes he does have a lot of work to do to be a dependable winger but that’s the normal progression of later 1st rounders/early 2nd rounders. He’s following in the path of Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson.
To my eyes, every line he has played on has experienced a drop off in effectiveness. He doesn’t seem to fit anywhere in the bottom 6. But there won’t be room on the top 6 for him for years to come.

And when Arvy returns, what would you do with Kaliyev? Eventual trade material at the deadline? Draft Day? Fagemo might be better suited to the third/fourth line role. Yet he still brings a lot of offense.

Miles ahead of anything Frk was. He's got too much hockey intelligence not to last a long time, and his game is already 100 times better than when he first broke in. He's starting to get some 5 on 5 offensive confidence with PLD, I trust this staff to keep him reminded of the defensive side of things.
In recent games against true contending teams, the Kings have shown us they aren’t quite as good as their record seems to indicate. There will need to be further improvement if the Kings are going to get out of the first round. I look at the roster and I see Kaliyev as the weakest link. Others will argue it’s Laffy. But I see #78 as a better longterm bet to succeed as a NHL player than Kaliyev.

If Arvy returns sooner than later, he may become the necessary improvement in the quality of the forward lines. Then the choice becomes who gets the lineup/roster spot- Laffy or Arty.

And then there is JAD…

Kaliyev needs to up his "tough guy" game. He's got the wicked shot, but he's also big & burly, and I'd love to see him use that to his advantage more and definitely be more of a pest. He's too nice!!

Observations from "The Fortress"...

...as usual there were lots of King fans in the arena. And my section was almost 50-50 between Kings and Knights fans.

In general, the beginning of the game was like a continuation of the last game I saw in Los Angeles with the Jets. The Kings had the Three S's going: Slow. Sluggish. Sloppy.

They looked better in the second, but still didn't match the Knights intensity.

The Kings were all over the Knights in the third, and had a lot of shots, but we couldn't hit the net. And when we did hit the net, their goalie made some huge saves. But it was still a better effort than the first two periods.

And I'm not sure if there was something up with the ice, but the puck sure seemed to be bouncing around a lot, along with a lot of players falling down untouched.

Byfield had a couple really good shifts and stood out among all the Kings. I was so wrong about him. He's developing into a true force out there. Very impressed.

And as it always happens after the Kings lose in Vegas, I lose in Vegas. I was as cold as the ice in T-Mobile. (colder?) I think my best hand was two pairs. I don't even recall hitting a three-of-a-kind.

Oh well, you win some and lose some, but it's always fun flying into Vegas for Kings games. And speaking of flying: The Kings appeared jet-lagged. I guess that 70 minute flight was too much.

After being the unofficial Kings good luck charm, I am now the official Kings Jonah. I'm zero for four this year, with three losses at home and one on the road. I had already decided to skip a few games I was planning on going to at The Crypt to see if I can change the Kings luck...and now I go out to Vegas and see them lose their second game out of sixteen on the road.

But give credit to the Knights. Once they got that two-goal lead, they really crimped down on us and we had difficulty even completing two consecutive passes. I don't know how many shots they blocked, but they really filled the lanes and clogged up the middle of the ice. The Amadio goal was a real bad-breaker.

Like I just wrote, it appeared to be a continuation of the Jets game in LA. The Jets wanted it more and so did the Knights. But the bottom line is Vegas just outworked us and deserved the win.

For my eye test Laf is a better skater, much quicker, better stick handler, and better along the boards. He’s not afraid to throw a check either. Kaliyev has played over 100 NHL games and has 6 goals so far to Laf’s 5. And Laf doesn’t get any PP time.

Kaliyev can be a hell of a passer but it’s not consistent enough. Surely Kempe and Byfield showed patience is key, but in a give-to-get scenario I don’t mind Kaliyev included as he should still have value to bring back something decent. Not sure if Bjornfot’s value is worth anything but the two of them together sounds alright.

Re: Kaliyev
OK, he's not playing up to some peoples expectations, but so is PLD. PLD on paper is the better player and has more experience. So why isn't he raising his line mates games? When I play with better players I always play a better game.

Re: Kaliyev
OK, he's not playing up to some peoples expectations, but so is PLD. PLD on paper is the better player and has more experience. So why isn't he raising his line mates games? When I play with better players I always play a better game.
If Kaliyev could ever win a board battle or a 50/50 puck, then PLD and Laf would be better off.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom