Punk...

nocturn

what I am, you shall be
Its about ****ing time we have this thread! Kings Provisional, Dave, ges?

Since just before my 41st B-day last week, I've been having a major, Major, MAJOR, "Punk Mid-Life Crisis". Ive been downloading gobs and gobs of newly accessible Punk MP3's from multiple sites. Well over $1500 worth including The Damned, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, DK, Misfits, Pistols, GBH, SubHuMans, Exploited, Circle Jerks, Black Flag, TSOL, Christian Death, Germs, X, etc... Most of which I have on vinyl, cassette or disc...but Im way too lazy and lack time to transfer them to digi. As a teen living in Oxnard, Hueneme, Ventura and Santa Barbara (Child of an a-typical nasty late 70's California Divorce), I'm kind of partial to Nardcore like Ill Repute, Aggression, Dr. Know, H.C., False Confession, Stalag 13...etc. In fact, Im very good friends with quite a few of the dudes in those bands now.

Lets load this bitch up with music....I need MOAR!!!

BTW, Happy 30th Birthday "Suicidal Tendencies" album. You definitely weren't the first but you made the first step towards making Punk acceptable in the main stream with track 6.

My personal fav is (track 2):

"I'm not anti-society
society's anti-me
I'm not anti-religion
religion is anti-me
I'm not anti-tradition
tradition is anti-me
I'm not anti-anything
I just wanna be free

Fascist state, no freedom
Unless you control yourself
Use self expression, lose your freedom
You're undesirable, you go straight to jail

Kill someone, in a war
Get a medal, you're a hero
Protect yourself in every day war
You're undesirable you go straight to jail

I'm not anti-Reagan
Reagan's anti-me
I'm not anti-government
government's anti-me
I'm not anti-politics
politics is anti-me
I'm not anti-anything
I just wannna be free

Two Sided Politics
Innocent, never guilty
High class lawyer, you are rich
If you're poor must be guilty
Even if innocent you go straight to jail"

and F*** YOU!

(In before Green Day or Offspring)

Last edited:
this will inevitably start the "what is punk" arguments. so........

Ill Repute was good. I have that 7". Sleepwalking is a great song. "In Control" by Stalag 13 is one of my favorite records.

In the summer of 1985, my high school best friend, had 3 bands play in his backyard. I was 15 years old & still very much a Mod. Although the transformation from being a Mod to a straight edge kid took 2 more years, this band started me down that path. To this day, this band & its altered ego band are my favorites.

This band was a close 2nd.

This band, however, is in the top 10 of my all time favorites. They just did a reunion show in DC with the original singer. I am heavily influenced by post punk/hardcore bands of the mid to late 80's & early 90's.

If they decide to play out here, I'll be first to post a roll call.

didn't dag nasty have 3 or 4 singers over the span of the band?

I am all more familiar with dave smalley, but liked that video above!

Ill Repute was good. I have that 7". Sleepwalking is a great song. "In Control" by Stalag 13 is one of my favorite records.

This band was a close 2nd.

Fantastic album! I have the "Skins, Brains and Guts" 7" at my moms house.

Never got into the Straight Edge lifestyle. Loved the music but was way to eager to smoke a bowl at any chance I could. :D

"In Control" is an absolute *must* in any collection of Nardcore. As is IR's "What Happens Next".

Speaking of *must*, I must find a decent MP3 of Youth Brigade's "Sound & Fury". The 2 I've sampled sound like they were ripped off napster using a 8 track.

if you have any youtube to mp3 ripping software, this was the best I could find:

much love for youth brigade

Never really got into much of the hardcore stuff. I was always a more melodic person. (Thanks to hair metal of the 80's like Poison) Personally, more of a Rancid, Op Ivy, NOFX, Bad Religion kind of guy who would not be here without those pioneers. I think 2/3 of the punk today is screamo crap and the rest is the old bands doing what they usually do. Always will love DKM (though they have changed), Me First, and these guys

Just have to say suicidal is still one of my favorite bands to pop into the cd player. First encountered them at Metallica concert at CSUDH back in 94. They were ****ing nuts and amazing.

Other classics as mentioned adolescents, subhumans, I still even enjoy popping in some naked aggression.

don't have time to post videos, but my big ones are fugazi, the clash, gorilla biscuits/quicksand, black flag, texas is the reason, h2o, bad religion, far, jawbreaker/jets to brazil. so mostly stuff that rose from the ashes or were influenced by original punk and hardcore. then i like a bunch of post/melodic hardcore and pop punk bands that formed in the 90s as i was in high school and getting through college. those are too numerous to mention.

this will inevitably start the "what is punk" arguments. so........

Meh, I hope this thread doest turn into that tired debate. IMHO, Punk is ultimately a state of mind and not the stupid "Brand" it’s unfortunately become. Threads like this inevitably turn into an “F-U! My subgenre is better Punk than your subgenre…” and things get ugly. I hope we don’t go in that direction. I may disagree with what someone a lot younger than me may consider Punk, but it’s all relative. I’ve been fortunate enough to live through the heyday of the latter beginning, middle, and (what I would consider) the end of Punk. That gives me a better knowledge base to draw my conclusions from. Now if someone comes on here and says “Green Day is the best Punk band ever!” I’d call them lame and probably Ving them in the head…Now THAT’S PUNK! :D

Case in point, and I’m probably gonna get flamed but I've ALWAYS had a tough time calling the Ramones Punk (let 'er rip!)….that’s just me. I’m SURE there are some OG punks on here that would consider that to be Blasphemous...and maybe rightfully so. They would probably also consider Hardcore and thereafter to be garbage. But my introduction to Punk came after the Ramones had already laid the groundwork.

So, it would be highly hypocritical of me to say anything that came after Hardcore is crap. I’ll give anything a listening to and if its crap, it’s based on its content and not its label.

And thats that on it from me...

Last edited:
My friends look out for me like familaaaaaay...

how about some love for Pogo Punk...

edit: this thread might just give a lot of us a good excuse to post some of our favorite songs, and I'm totally okay with that..

Last edited:

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom