Punk...

So it was a lot of fun, but Scott's voice was completely thrashed. I took my wife and a couple friends, and they all thought he sounded very very off. Played in Mesa the night before and probably imbibed quite a bit in between. Bummer as I think it ruined it for them. About halfway through the album my wife yelled me that she couldn't stand how he sounded. bleh. But still fun to hear the album in full though. Crowd was super into it. Scott noted after singing Close Your Eyes that he remembers why he hates playing that song (funny enough, I thought his voice actually sounded better when he hit some high notes), and they dedicated Before I Go to the guy who produced the album that has passed on. I guess he also produced Pearl Jam and a few other big 90s bands and they were very WTF when he wanted to produce their black album. They played about 5-6 of their later known hits after finishing the album, then left. No encore as apparently it was Emo night afterwards where a couple guys from Bayside and Taking Back Sunday were going to be DJ'ing. Must've been popular because there was a line down the street of people waiting to get in when we exited.

I now am waiting for the Oz Factor (and Blue Room hits) tour next..

Also, I have a sweet spot for Buck O Nine, and my wife liked them a lot opening so that is good. (She's a pop-country fan so any win is a win). Audio Karate also played, who I didn't know extremely well from way back when, but they sounded fine and did a good cover of Linoleum.

And also also, credit to the Observatory. My old man body can't handle too much drinking these days. But $7 for a Newcastle and $5 for lesser quality beers seemed abnormally cheap for a music venue nowadays. The 1 hour 51 minute drive there from the west san fernando valley though was not fun. I got tickets to see Masked Intruder (yay!) with the Interrupters in April there, but it's on a sunday. Hopefully traffic won't suck quite as bad.

ya. i had a feeling scott russo's voice isn't necessarily always in the best shape. lol. his daughter, cailin, is singing and modeling now. a clothing brand i follow just featured her. ha.

oh hell ya, the observatory is quite the drive from your neck of the woods. i just spent the last 5 days driving twice to echo park and twice to pomona. i am officially fried. i even skipped the laura jane grace show in weho because i was too tired. (my husband broke his leg so i'm tired from all the extra work around the house, too).

Got invited to Pennywise/Pulley at the ventura theater saturday night. Was a good time and just about everything you'd expect from a pennywise show.

I try to see Pulley whenever I can. My buddy's only comment was how big Scott Radinsky's neck is. Sounded good, got a good 30-40 minute set with all the "hits".

I admit I know much more about Mariachi El Bronx than The Bronx, but the Bronx boys had a pretty solid crowd jazzed for them.

The flannel shirts and flat billed hats were out in force. Good set that covered start to finish (but a lot from Full Circle and prior). Fletcher claiming Jim will run for president in 2020 and he'll be VP. Played a few crowd requests, some minor threat and bad religion covers, and seemed to be fairly sentimental ("if you keep coming, we'll keep playing. until we die"). Show ended around 12:30-12:45 am and holy crap did I feel old knowing I'd have to pay my babysitter a couple extra hours more than originally planned [so punk].

There also is an irish bar next door (Dagan's I think) that served as a very fine establishment as we couldn't get into the Ventiki tiki bar down the road. I think it's been 15 years since I was last at the ventura theater. Good to hit the town again. MUCH shorter drive than the observatory trek a couple weeks ago.

radinsky's neck is big because baseball.
i love the bronx!
i also love the ventura theater! but that's so far from me these days.

i have gorilla biscuits coming up this friday in garden grove. i was supposed to go with my husband but... broken leg, so i have an extra ticket in case anyone is interested.

lunchbox is stooooooked

56242584_377409263106749_6373423071432278016_n.jpg

i would go to that avail show but i wouldn't fly out for it, boo. wish they'd tour. oh well.

not going to that festival. i also skipped the show where thrice opened for bring me the horizon at the forum. i hate the forum (too big and last time i was there, it took an hour to park). i also hate bring me the horizon. i think being on epitaph has opened a lot of doors for them though.

SS-Kaliert - German Punk. They have "SS" in the name and have been accused of being Neo Nazis but that is not the case (trust me I looked them up). On the CD I just picked up they have "ANTI-FASCIST PUNK!" across the back.

i would go to that avail show but i wouldn't fly out for it, boo. wish they'd tour. oh well.
Love the stories coming out on this one. I don't know the size of the venue, but the first show sold out within an hour (and significantly less from what I read). There are some tickets being sold for $150-$250 a piece online, although just a small few. The band put a statement out that they confirmed with the venue bots weren't an issue and not to engage anyone scalping. They added a second show that was available only from the box office in person, which is completely sold out as well (heard hundreds in line and some people drove from 4+ hours away to wait).

Tour please!

Caught the interrupters/masked intruder in OC last night. Soo much fun!

Masked Intruder is hilarious, heartfelt, and play some great pop punk songs about crime, love, and well crime. First time seeing them and was definitely worth the wait. Stage presence is fantastic, great jokes, and Officer Bradford dancing through the crowd before pulling off his clothes into skimmies made for serious fun.

Interrupters whether you like them or not put on a super fun show. It was an hour and a half sing along. My wife (the country fan) loved them and wants to go again. The 5 minute metallica/green day/nofx/rancid/operation ivy medley was cool (and the look on Aimee's face when he started the enter sandman into "uh no, I'm not singing that"), and we were super stoked to hear The Valley live (some curious onlookers when we were screaming out hazeltine and van nuys blvd). They seemed genuinely super happy and surprised by the crowd enthusiasm, and were pretty much just giving high fives and hugs to folks the whole time.

Also plug to either the observatory security or interrupters' crew (not sure who drove it) for throwing about 45 bottles of water to the crowd before they started.

My voice is shot.

Last edited:
Caught the interrupters/masked intruder in OC last night. Soo much fun!

Masked Intruder is hilarious, heartfelt, and play some great pop punk songs about crime, love, and well crime. First time seeing them and was definitely worth the wait. Stage presence is fantastic, great jokes, and Officer Bradford dancing through the crowd before pulling off his clothes into skimmies made for serious fun.

Interrupters whether you like them or not put on a super fun show. It was an hour and a half sing along. My wife (the country fan) loved them and wants to go again. The 5 minute metallica/green day/nofx/rancid/operation ivy medley was cool (and the look on Aimee's face when he started the enter sandman into "uh no, I'm not singing that"), and we were super stoked to hear The Valley live (some curious onlookers when we were screaming out hazeltine and van nuys blvd). They seemed genuinely super happy and surprised by the crowd enthusiasm, and were pretty much just giving high fives and hugs to folks the whole time.

Also plug to either the observatory security or interrupters' crew (not sure who drove it) for throwing about 45 bottles of water to the crowd before they started.

My voice is shot.

I was there too! And yes, Masked Intruder was funny, got to meet them briefly, nice folks, even Rat Boy was good.

The Interrupters were great and fun. Just down to earth and nice people! What a show!

Here is a pic I took.

D4LPh9-U0AEjSCK.jpg

BTW, I had a King's hat on and my painted Charged G.B.H. jacket on, did we perhaps cross paths?

BTW, I had a King's hat on and my painted Charged G.B.H. jacket on, did we perhaps cross paths?
I definitely feel like that would've stood out to me....I had a dance hall crashers shirt on. Perhaps.

Couple smaller videos I took in between singing...

I hate being that guy taking video at shows, but I also love having snippets to look back on way down the line..

Last edited:
I definitely feel like that would've stood out to me....I had a dance hall crashers shirt on. Perhaps.

We gotta post what shows we are going to see so we can meet up some time!

Looks like from your vids we were on opposite sides of the venue. And BTW, loved that you posted those vids! It was the first time I saw the Interrupters, I wanna go again, they put on a great show!

that was a bummer. only 52. :(
i'm seeing gorilla biscuits in the locker room in garden grove next month.

thinking about jawbox but that's all the way in july. so far off...

i'm surprised no one is talking about bikini kill. :p

My nephew went to the GB show. He was blown away at how great they were. Had other commitments, otherwise I would have been there. In the back, however. Lol

I'll be at the Jawbox show with an army of my friends. They were/still are a huge influence to me & the bands I played in. Top 5 of my all time favs.

That's because BK sucks. Kathleen is a vile human being too. No surprise as to why nobody is talking about them.

Couple smaller videos I took in between singing...

I hate being that guy taking video at shows, but I also love having snippets to look back on way down the line..

i’m the same. i don’t wanna be that person but i also like to look back on it. i think it’s ok as long as you don’t have your phone up the majority of the time. what i don’t get (or what i find really annoying) are the drunk fools who video the whole show but are moving around so much they can’t possibly be getting good clips. so their phone is in my sight line for no good reason, jerks!

My nephew went to the GB show. He was blown away at how great they were. Had other commitments, otherwise I would have been there. In the back, however. Lol

I'll be at the Jawbox show with an army of my friends. They were/still are a huge influence to me & the bands I played in. Top 5 of my all time favs.

That's because BK sucks. Kathleen is a vile human being too. No surprise as to why nobody is talking about them.

ya, it was a really great show. didn’t expect to be as impressed as i was. i was actually kind of put off that they moved it to the amphitheater but that was packed so the smaller room would’ve been way too small. the amphitheater was a pretty good size, it could accommodate a few hundred people but it was still intimate and honestly, i felt safer and more comfortable a few steps up and away from the stage. it was such a small place, the circle pit was ON THE STAGE, haha. these 2 kids who must’ve been 8-10 years old were on the side of the stage singing along and stage diving every now and then. cute.

lol, what did kathleen hanna do? tbh, i don’t know much about her, all i heard was a bunch of true punx and riot grrrls crying over losing out to bots during the ticket sale.

anyone going to see the bouncing souls? i’m on the fence only because i’d go sunday and that’s mother’s day. i really want to go but i also really want to relax at home all day. :-/
time will tell if i’m a true believer.

h2o are playing a free show in LA the next weekend. that’s a maybe for me, too.

anyone going to see the bouncing souls? i’m on the fence only because i’d go sunday and that’s mother’s day. i really want to go but i also really want to relax at home all day. :-/
time will tell if i’m a true believer.

h2o are playing a free show in LA the next weekend. that’s a maybe for me, too.

I was on the fence too for bouncing souls, but saw the floor is already sold out and only balcony is available (when I saw Aquabats there I don't remember them splitting it up).

Whoa whoa, H20 free show?? When and where is this happening...

I was on the fence too for bouncing souls, but saw the floor is already sold out and only balcony is available (when I saw Aquabats there I don't remember them splitting it up).

Whoa whoa, H20 free show?? When and where is this happening...

lucky for me, the observatory is all GA...

h2o are playing at the hundreds homebase in vernon which i believe is a clothing retailer’s warehouse. not 100% on that since i’ve never been.

so much for that H20 show for me but darn it's been too long since I've seen them.

Unwritten Law playing with Authority Zero June 21 at the glass house. As much as it's also been too long since I've seen Authority Zero, the thought of driving to Pomona on a friday from the west valley will probably keep me away.

And anyone going to either of the two album per night Against Me shows at the Fonda in October? I might do night 1 (Searching for a former clarity/New wave)

Last edited:
ya, i’ve got a 2 day pass for the against me! shows. looking forward to it.

i’m still undecided about h2o. i might have to spend the weekend with family.

So posted earlier that we should post what shows we are gonna go to since Ucsdguy1 and went to show and never met since we did not know each other was there. So.......

Going to Maid of Ace on Friday May 17th at The 5 Star Bar in L.A. Go to their official site and hit the "Tour" tab for tix. Crazy thing is tickets are only $5, $7.15 with the service charge added.

If you never heard them here are their vids, and yes I posted them earlier but no need to search the pages to find them. Other crazy thing is they are sisters!

Back
Top Bottom